RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad News :-( Truck won't start....cranks but won't turn over.

So out of the blue, my 2006 HSE won't start. I went to the store, parked it for about an hour, came back out to start it and it just cranks and cranks but won't turn over. I checked the fuel pump relay in the rear, even changed it with the heated seats relay since it's the exact same one and nothing. It's not the battery because everything works, radio, nav, lights, etc and it's cranking at full power but it won't start. The battery is also not even a year old.

I did have less than 1/4 tank of gas in it and it was parked on a slope. I got it towed to the gas station, filled up and still won't start. I called a land rover and they suggested filling up with gas also but no go.

I read many posts on here related to the fuel pump. If it was the alternator would it just crank and crank? I know if it was the starter it would just make the clicking sound. It sounds like it wants to start but it's not getting fuel/spark or something.

Any ideas that I could try? I just got it towed home since no shops are open until Monday.

Thanks in advance for any info...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Bad News :-( Truck won't start....cranks but won't turn over.

You need to check for spark and then for fuel pressure, without either it wont start.

"Crank" and "turn over" mean the same thing.

"Its turns over but wont start"
"Its cranks but wont start"

·
Registered
154 Posts

any ideas???
Is the check engine light on? Any codes?
Alternator has zero to do with the cranking.
As Spike mentions - check the fuel pressure. Autozone or advance auto will "loan" you a guage. You may ask them to also to check you battery cranking amps. Radio and Nav don't always mean your battery is up to the task.
There are 8 coil paks and when they die you get a code. I wouldn't discount that lack of spark, but I would start with the fuel pump & the battery.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks. No check engine light on while it's cranking. Maybe I'll take the battery out and run it up there so they can check it.

I've replaced ignition coils in other cars before but it would a least start and run rough.

Is there easy access to the fuel pump? I was told to hit under the gas tank it but i cant see where it is. I can hear the fuel pump do its thing when I turn the key and let it sit for about 10 seconds before I try to start it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I just took the battery out. I'll take it to get tested once the store opens. I'm really doubting its the battery though. :sad:

Also, checked for codes this morning and it comes up with nothing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Battery tested as good. 12.10v and 848 CCA. Sounds like it's the fuel pump. I searched online for replacing it but I only come up with 05 and prior DIY's.

Where is the fuel pump access in the 06??

Land Rover Parts department is open until 2pm today so I guess I'll fork out the money for a new one. I see online I can get it for under 400 but I'd rather get it and install it myself today.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Land rover wants 400ish for the pump and sending unit and 140ish for the " 2nd"sending unit. They said the old sending unit wont work with the new pumps they make for the 06?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
203 Posts

Fuel pump. We had the exact same problem in April. Get a new fuel pump fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Yeah, these pumps fail all of a sudden, and are completely dead when they do. The procedure for replacement is very similar to the 03-05, but the pump is shaped differently. You also want to replace the top cap unit on the RH side of the tank, it is the pressure regulator for the system. As long as there isn't much gas in the tank, it's not a bad job to do, just a little tricky to get everything in there correctly. When installing the new pump, pay close attention to where, and how the old one sits in and is located, as they will fit in the wrong orientation, which will only cause more issues.

I prefer to replace everything in there at the same time, as sometimes the sending units can be damaged when removing the assembly, or a float has become slightly porous over the years, or there is a kink in a line or a bad seal or any number of other possibilities that would cause you to have to go right back into the tank.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you. I just picked up the pump/sending unit, second sending unit and gasket. He gave them all to me at wholesale cost!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So this is where I am. How do I get the pump out from here??? I have disconnected the plug, I just plugged it back in to see if I hear anything when I turn the key to accessory and I hear no clicking or anything at all. I suppose the pump is DEAD?

Is there a way I can tell if the relay in the rear is good or not? I used the heated seat relay which looks identical that was next to it and plugged it in but still get no sound or anything from the pump.

Could someone tell me what fuses other than the relay in the rear could be blown that may be causing the fuel pump to not work? I just want to make sure it's the pump before I open the new one. Once I even open the box, it can not be returned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to break anything trying to remove it.

SAM_5389.jpg SAM_5390.jpg SAM_5391.jpg SAM_5392.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Put new fuel pump in!!! OMG!! PAIN!!!! Ridin now!!

·
Banned
901 Posts

cool, how bad was that Job. BTW I'm from Bethesda

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,762 Posts

"Crank" and "turn over" mean the same thing.
Not necessarily. It depends on your upbringing and where you are from. Cranking is what the starter does. When an engine turns over it means the ignition has caught and it is running. So an engine can crank all day long and not turn over.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

It wasnt all that bad, it was ok. Nice, I'll be there at the ATT Nationals. I'll be there tomorrow too. I'm always in Bethesda/Georgetown.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts