RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the last few times I did a hard acceleration I'm smelling a strong suffer odor. Could this be a sign that the CAT is dying? I have been using a product called Lucas upper cylinder jubricant with injector cleaner about every 2 to 3 thousand miles. Could this be the cause of a bad cat? I guess I will not know for sure until I bust my next state inspection, or check engine light illuminates.

Any insight would be greatly appreceadte.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or possibly bad fuel?

I heard just this afternoon from someone in the gas and oil industry that there is gobs of ammonia added to the fuel these days.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
I'm pretty sure ammonia is a gas...at least on Earth. Its soluble in water but not hydrocarbons so unless they have some fancy Sodastream machine at the dispensing pumps? Its probably all the gunk you are putting in your fuel. As in the first post.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How are you smelling your own exhaust? Not trying to be obtuse, just wondering why a sulfur smell from your own truck would be entering the cabin. Usually the pleasure of smelling someone's bad cat belongs to the person behind. Maybe you have an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SEOMike,
I thought the same thing but the smell is only when at full throttle excelleration and my windows and or sunroof is open. I don't have any exhaust smells with windows up and AC on.

And gooseyloosey thinks it might be the gunk I put in my fuel. Haven't added the Lucus fuel injector cleaner in quite a while and to be honest I don't remember smelling the sulfer during it's usage.

No check engine lights on so I guess it's no big deal.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I don't think its a problem either and wouldn't worry about it. The only way you can get a sulfur smell is to have sulfur introduced somewhere in the system and the most common place would be from fuel--unless you live east of Houston along I-610--then its from the air. Current fuel regs have dramatically dropped sulfur content in gasoline and on-road diesel from what they were 10 yrs ago. I dunno what the cleaner you put in contains, but its unnecessary at a such a frequency. The only other idea would be to try a different brand gasoline.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When your truck is accelerating hard your engine is running pretty rich which is probably what is making the smell and nothing to worry about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts