RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone read this Aug. issue of Land Rover Monthly? Interesting positive article on the rep. of the p38. 20yrs old this year

Tony

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
750 Posts
All the bookstores in Austin have pulled all LR magazines due to high cost and low active buyers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
30thAnnP38....just. Read the article so thought I'd give you all a brief.......
The article started by saying that the world had waited 24yrs for the replacement of the legendary R.R. And was expecting something special, however was hated by London critics labelling it a London cab look a like. Soon after it developed a reputation for unreliability...states unreliable air sus..etc (we know the deal). After the 3rd generation L322 put the long suffering P38'out of its misery one thought the P38 would sink into history and rusty oblivion.......BUT NOT SO.... (The article continues)...20years on there is a legion of happy owners who enjoy reliable, luxurious and affordable 4x4 travel...(we could have told them that years ago!)...The article goes on to say that it is the most misunderstood L.R. Ever built,and invites well known L.R. Folk for comment.
Christ Crane.....RPI Engineering
Nigel Hammond
Frank Elson......LRM writer
Richard Thomas.LRM ex editor
Ed Evans..........LRM tech editor........(all new names to me.)
All these guys basically overview how good the P38 actually is..and that it is basically dealers throwing parts at them and not good old fashioned mechanics getting to the original problem....stating that the real problem was never repaired.....Their comments in conclusion were.."One of the finest vehicles ever built" "A high quality top end machine" "Clearly recognise their enormous signifance in L.R. History"........

Hope you enjoyed my brief version of this article...not a bad read for Aus$6.50....however we all know what is in the article.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

You can purchase the electronic version of LRM from app store and view on your phone, tab or laptop.

Regards

Jos

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I'd stick with a P38 over an L322 any day. They may have their faults but there's too many stories of L322s with diffs and gearboxes that fail without warning, ignition switches and steering locks that decide to not work without warning and electronics that kill the whole car if they get slightly damp. At least with a P38 it will give you a warning if something is going to fail, not just suddenly stop and leave you stranded because it can.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've always preferred my P38, it just seemed to me to be the natural next gen RR, after the classic, before the L322 started to get a bit "blingy", I know all RR are capable off roaders but the P38 looks like it can handle it a bit better without worrying about scratches or trim falling off and the cost of repairs (my P38 always gets repaired a bit cheaper than a couple of clean and polished L322 I know lol), it just a personal opinion, no offence to any later RR owners, but to me the P38 was the last of the tough looking RR.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Whilst my P38 has had its share of problems and system failures on the road it has ALWAYS gotten me home......even if it's been a bumpy ride.....can't ask for more.

·
Registered
139 Posts
P38 ... always loved its stylish, clean look...then hated all bugs It had...then mentioned bugs forced me to get to know it better...then after that, I become p38 junkie :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have to agree with the article and you P38 lovers, never liked the Classic, but accept it was quite brilliant in concept and unique, just didn't appeal to me, I think aesthetics (many of my friends had them), smitten with the first P38 I saw, bought my DSE ten years ago and remapped it, still have it, two years later bought an Autobiography DHSE, just gave it to my daughter and replaced it with an L322 4.4 V8, don't want an argument, you're all entitled to an opinion different to mine, but I consider it poor in technical design, shoddy in materials and poor in mechanical layout design in comparison with the P38 and seems to have potentially catastrophic component failure problems built-in, in both design and material selection. I would regret buying it if I went in for regrets and I readily admit I do not know it yet like the P38, which with the diesel, does have some awkward to remove service parts, but a well put together vehicle and generally easy motor to understand and work on. However on the L322 the two easiest service items on almost all cars since the thirties, i.e. battery and air filter are on the MkIII an aggravation, in my case with spinal problems, the battery will have to be farmed out, but only due to it's location, I should have looked into it in more detail before deciding, I did read some of the scare stories on this and other sites and tailored my choice accordingly upto a point (they say the same about the P38, my experience is otherwise), as I live with and learn more of the Mk III my opinion may improve with time. As for the ride, while the L322 due to the 4.4 petrol engine is lovely, smooth and brisk (can't compare with P38 4.6, haven't driven one), the actual feel on the road is rather ordinary, the P38 feels special, I can think of a few small details that help make this so for me, plus of course I may be prejudiced.

Plus she won't let me have P38 DSE back.

cheers John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts