RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backup camera on my 2008 HSE went blank this weekend. No visible damage to the camera. Monitor is dark , and says to maneuver cautiously.

Any suggestions ? As I have grown VERY accustomed to having the camera.

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
305 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I guess I was kinda hoping there was an easy fix problem that others experienced , as opposed to having to completely change the camera.
Strange how it just went out like a blown bulb.......................

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
ANy sign of a compromised seal, cracked housing etc? Have you checked the connections as noted above?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Thanks! I guess I was kinda hoping there was an easy fix problem that others experienced , as opposed to having to completely change the camera.
Strange how it just went out like a blown bulb.......................
From my ( and other L322 owners) when it goes out completely and it's not a simple blown fuse or loose connection type problem, it's a kinked wire at best or a shot wire/camera at worse, which will need to be eventually replaced. That's why I suggested looking to a better solution since you're going to need to open it up some anyway.I'm assuming your camera is no better than the crap on the '06+ years till they eventually got their crap together.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great advice. I checked all the housing, etc. and everything looks to be in good order. I guess I have no choice but to try a complete replacement. Almost backed into several cars this week, after being so in the habit of having the camera.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks ! The interesting thing is that it now works on rare occasions (maybe 1 out of 10 times). I guess a part of me is hoping it starts back working fully , however that is likely wishful thinking. Ill give it another week or so , then will have to look at replacement alternatives. Cause Im lost without that thing ....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can someone tell me where the fuse for the rear view camera is located? My manual says slot 8 in the rear box but when I looked there is a 30a fuse for the defroster. Puzzled. Btw it's an 06 l322

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMG_20180331_110558223_BURST000_COVER.jpg

My recently bought 2005 UK model Vogue SE had a few minor problems to sort out, one being the back up camera which although the display screen knows it`s there, shows a blank screen when reversing. I want to chech the power supply first before removing the rear spoiler but the fuse arrangement doesn`t tally with the manual info. What symbol represents the correct fuse ( N0 8 @ 5A according to manual)

IMG_20180331_110615897.jpg ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 06-09 RR have issue with their rear cameras. It's not a fuse or a kinked wire... its a bad circuit board on the little camera. Because the rear lift gate is so dang heavy and if you slam it so much, over time that camera will go out.

Perfect example. If you backup camera went out all of a sudden. Have a friend help you by put the truck in reverse (of course hold the brake and parking brake) and hit the camera with a rubber mallet. You will see the camera kick on and off.

Follow my DIY on replacing the camera for around $20-$30: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/299705-affordable-backup-camera-replacement-step-step-guide.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would someone please explain how my rear view camera functions perfectly when I use the onboard diagnostic to display the camera but fails to show when I engage reverse? I have dismantled the camera and inspected it closely. Yes, the four way connector is not a snug fit but it does maintain contact. The co-ax connector is fine. Why are there four wires? One must be ground and another power. I suspect one controls the wide angle function and the last is connected to the reverse gear selector somehow, probably via a computer somewhere.

If I can turn on the camera and see the rear view field using the onboard diagnostics, why does it no display when I engage reverse. It would seem to be a control problem, not a connection problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2011 was working perfectly until last week, when it stoped showing peripheral view and the edges were blackened. I have actually always been impressed with the great view and high definition. I replaced the camera with OE today, and it is the same. I will try replacing the harness and see if that works. The fisheye view is horrible.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The 2008 camera should be a fully sealed camera (unlike MY10-MY12 which the wiring plugs into the back) meaning if its not a simple wiring/connection issue the camera is probably dead.

Which unfortunately sucks cause that's the better camera (no parking lines, fully sealed) than the newer ones.

I have a proper part number for the older camera around here somewhere. If you want it PM me and I'll dig it up.

There used to be a guy on ebay who would clean and rebuild cameras for about $150. You can order newer cameras off lrdirect for pretty inexpensively and then cut the new hole and do the mod (check my photo gallery) but it is work.

The newer cameras dont seal well and almost always leak leading to death. I pull them open when I get them, clean and then fill with dielectric grease to prevent future issues. They don't fail after that. Ive got pictures I need to post showing the teardown and maintenance process from a camera that is ultra corroded due to internal leaking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 was working perfectly until last week, when it stoped showing peripheral view and the edges were blackened. I have actually always been impressed with the great view and high definition. I replaced the camera with OE today, and it is the same. I will try replacing the harness and see if that works. The fisheye view is horrible.
How did you fix the fish eye ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts