RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 3.9l RRC backfired when it loaded up on quickstart and, besides the flame ball that removed the hair on my right arm, it blew the wire screen and 3" C-clips into my shirt. got lucky my shirt didn't catch fire.

now I'm wondering what damage I've done. Is it required to have the screen in place in the MAF? the screen in there got wadded up -- can I use just any screen (is it there to "straighten" the airflow out?)? how clean should the body inside be? it's pretty dirty looking due to running a K&N a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
:shock: **** dude, step away from the quickstart before someone gets killed...

You're working with an electronic fuel injection system, quickstart ain't gonna help.

First, get a copy of RAVE and familiarize yourself with the injection system on you're model year.

Assuming the engine's been running fine and you're trying to figure out why it suddenly stopped... it sounds like you're on the right track (no fuel) and there's a few things you can check/replace. Fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, ECU are some places to start. If no fuel, I'd start with your pump first, then move onto checking the filter and regulator, etc.

Not sure how well an MAF sensor can handle detonation, screen or no screen. :|

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Mine did a similar thing soon after i had it converted to LPG, air leaks caused it.

Is it required to have the screen in place in the MAF?
Been running without one for a couple of years with no problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts