RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, on my 2008 L322 the center seat back was folded down and it stuck to the lower seat and it got folded back up and took the leather Color with it.

Not sure what happened as the back is usually up and I just cleaned the car last weekend...usually gets a wash and dry as well as interior vacuum and wipe down. I haven’t been in the car all week, and wife usually drives it I just noticed it a few minutes ago. No sticky substances (drinks or spills) that I can see anywhere else the color off the lower seat is stuck the the upper headrest now. I did a quick wipe with Lexol leather cleaner but didn’t seem to help remove it.

Looks like a trip to the upholstery shop to see if it can be repaired.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Were the seats ever re-dyed? Possibly by the previous owner/dealer. I have never seen factory dye transfer. Many dealerships will re-dye a seat to sell it if it had been damaged. Cheap re-dye's can transfer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I know of, but it’s possible. The vehicle had 78k on the clock when we bought it about 10 months ago. Came out of Southern California. The front seat bottoms are a bit dry and cracked. I have been routinely leather conditioning the fronts but think it’s to late...so may need to see if upholstery guy can replace the center panels too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your seats were redyed improperly. Prep is the key, clean, clean, clean, light layers built up, clean and top coat of sealant. its not hard to do as the 'dye' is really just paint with a ton of elastomer and other stuff added in. I would get a can of touch up dye and appropiate sealer. Couple hours max and maybe $50. Lots of videos on youtube on how to do a quality job.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used a kit from leathertouchupdye.com and although it was quite expensive (and shipped to the US from Canada), the results were spectacular. I've used their products on several projects before and have always been pleased. There may be other companies that have something this good, but as of yet, I haven't found one.

They key is getting a good color match and doing the right kind of prep. The black area is quite easy to fix with just normal black leather shoe dye.

Here is the before and after from the drivers side door rest area:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have experienced this exact type of sticking and detachment of the color layer in the 60/40 split of my rear seat.

My intent is to get a leather repair done, and coat it with something that doesn't dry, like Dr. Martens Dubbin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts