RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this board and am looking at buying an 06 Range Rover HSE. Part of my research involves the reality that my wife and I are expecting twins (our first children). Is the Range Rover an acceptable daily driver for 2 infants in the rear seat using the safest baby seats available? I am concerned about driver leg room (I am 6' 1") and having to move up the driver's seat.

BTW, I am in Connecticut, USA if that makes any difference.

-Rocky

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Unless your babies have REALLY long legs that hang out of the baby seats I don't see where it would be an issue. :lol: Are really longs legs common in Connecticut? :think:

·
Registered
952 Posts
We had range rovers with our yougnest growing up and the rear seat was very spacious and accommodating for car seats.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Unless your babies have REALLY long legs that hang out of the baby seats I don't see where it would be an issue. :lol: Are really longs legs common in Connecticut? :think:
Uhm, Carl... When you do have some actual babies you get back to us, OK? :lol: Don't you know that infants must travel on rear facing seats until they are at least a year old? And yes, the seat back of a bulky infant seat or travel system carrier can indeed limit rearward travel of the driver's seat, big time, even on fairly large cars.

Welcome to the forum and congrats to you and your wife on your upcoming arrivals rockreid, unfortunately I cant help as I have a Sport, not a FFRR. I can relate to your problem however, since I have 6-month old identical twin girls (and a 5-year old big sister! I am so screwed...) On the Sport that would have been an issue for me, fortunately my wife does all the kids hauling in her Acura MDX (and she is short, so no issues for her.) Whenever I have to drive that car with the family on weekends, the baby seat behind me definitely gets in my way, and I am no giant (6-1 like you.) Once you select and buy your baby seats, it would not hurt to visit a dealership with one of them, to make sure it is compatible and easy to latch on the Range Rover, and that you won't get cramped with the seat behind you, as each baby seat is sized and fits a little bit different. We did that when shopping for my wife's car just before our twins arrived, and every single dealer was very happy to accommodate us. Something about a pregnant woman walking gingerly with a giant belly and a panicky husband with a car seat in his arms turns even the sleaziest and most cynical car salesman into a gentle puppy willing to help.

Good luck and get plenty of sleep now, trust me when I tell you that you'll need it for later. And if you need suggestions on seats, bottles, strollers, whatever, for twins feel free to PM me as I just went through what you are about to. :thumb:

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
umbertob said:
Uhm, Carl... When you do have some actual babies you get back to us, OK? :lol: :thumb:
I'm crushed. Are you saying my two cockers don't count? :cry:

Actually I had forgot about the rear facing bit. The kids I haul around use forward facing or boosters depending on which cousin I am sitting for. Still, I thought there was alot of rear room in the MarkIII that I have driven. Unless you are into serious recline while driving they should fit fine. Just don't forget a seat pad or blanket to avoid baby seat marks on your leather.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 2 baby/child seat in the back of mine - One Maxi Cosi Cabrio fix (0 months+) with a base with the leg that sits on the floor, the other is a maxi cosi Axiss (6 months +).

I am 6ft 3 and have plenty of room in the front - I can add a picture if you want?

And as rrtoadhall said make sure you get baby seat pads to protect the leather - I have these plus RR seat covers... `)

·
Registered
952 Posts
To add to the conversation, my wife was t-boned in the front passenger quarter panel at about 30-40 MPH just a few weeks after we got our '06 RR. My 4 year old son, who is autistic and has a nasty habit of undoing his seat belt constantly, was unrestrained in the back seat. The other car, a Volkswagen Passat, was completely crushed and the driver taken to the hospital. The RR had fairly mild damage, was drivable, and both my wife and my son were completely unhurt and went on with their day.

Of course it cost Geico nearly $20k and 2 months to fix the RR.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
God I'm Old....

When I was a kid (infiant too) I was just put into a dog box, or the back of the station wagon or our pick-up... How did I ever survive :p

I will say that the new child seats are more like my Recaro Build Racing seat, and the protection offered (when properly mounted) is far better then letting the little ones bounce around the inside incase of an accident. Or in my case having my two front teeth remove by a steel DeSoto dash. But hey I'm OK ( But I could have been a contender)... I also learned that I shouldn't stand up in the back seat, when my father was late braking, if you can call three tons of old (1948) drum brake hulk a power braking vehicle. :think:

Mark.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi,

CyberMrT mentioned the Maxi Cosi. We have used this system and highly recommend it. You can just pop out the capsule and carry the baby off without disturbing them at all. Now our daughter is older (3 1/2) we have a Recaro seat which we think is brilliant also. Both attach with the Isofix system which I think is really safe and very easy to use. Because the Rangie is quite high up to it makes it easier on your back getting them in and out.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I am 6' 7" and I find that the RR has more front leg room than any other vehicle I've ever driven besides my old '78 Thunderbird, not only that but because the seats are so adjustable I can still sit comfortably even with the seat moved very far forward.

I also have two kids with Britax Marathon car seats (one of the largest and arguably best you can get). Even when rear facing there is plenty of space for me. The only complaint I have is that the latches for the car seats are very difficult to install because they are mounted so close to the upper portion of the seat that you have to really wedge them in there to get them to fully connect. In my wife's honda, the latches are slightly lower, falling in the middle of the gap between the upper and lower sections so that it requires less force to get the latches connected. In fact, I usually just use the seatbelts to secure them instead because I frequently need to remove the child seats to accommodate adult passengers.

I have been able to barely squeeze three child seats in the back before (can't do that in any other vehicle I've driven), but it takes some elbow grease. Two seats plus a booster in the middle for an older child is no sweat though.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
I have been able to barely squeeze three child seats in the back before (can't do that in any other vehicle I've driven), but it takes some elbow grease. Two seats plus a booster in the middle for an older child is no sweat though.
If you need to fit 3 children on the back bench, look at the Radian products. They are excellent and narrower than your average child seat, can be mounted rear or front facing and convert to a booster when your kids are old enough. That's the only seat(s) you will ever need... I bought a Radian XT for my older daughter to fit her between the bases of the twins' travel system on the rear bench of my wife's car, and it's a good 3-4" narrower than the Britax she used to have and that would not have fit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For congrats on the twins! The Range Rover is definitely roomier than most cars but nothing beats a minivan in terms of moving a family around especially with multiple car seats. If you are looking for at car seats I'd recommend the Graco Snugride which is top rated for birth-12 months. When your children get older I'd recommend Recaro seats. I have both britax marathon and recaro sport seats and recaro seats are much thinner and will give you much more room. They are both well built and you can't go wrong with either but if you are worried about space i'd go with recaro.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
I have used the Maxi-Cosy Cabrio Fix and Priory Fix and have frankly found them the best quality you can find , a bit heavy but then you rarely take the whole thing out and the ease of use out weighs this and with Iso-Fix you feel reassured by the solid mounting of the seat. I also see that Maxi Cosi now do a Family fix so one Iso-Fix base will take an infant seat and then a forward facing seat,thereby saving you a few Bucks on the Millions you are about to spend over the next 18 years or so :thumb:

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
190 Posts
I have three kids under three (twins too) and to make my life less stressful I drive a RR . I have found the car to be perfect for lugging pushchairs around, the tailgate makes a perfect table to change, dress and feed kids. As they get older they will appreciate the great visibility too.

The three seats across the back are tight and there is a system to putting them in to overcome the overlapping belts. It will be more of a problem when they out grow the child seats with harnesses as access to the buckles is very tight.

Where RRs are a bit weak is the back doors don't open widely and its tricky loading the middle baby seat with the child.

I am 6'2" and never had any problems with leg room.

The hardest thing has been watching the car get destroyed by the kids, the back seats despite using thick mats as protection are dented the child seats, they are covered in all sorts of food debris/mud, the floor littered with more food debris. The boot and roof lining in the back are trashed from putting in two big pushchairs! A small price to pay for them being safe in such a big car. My kids love the car and ask to travel in it over the others, my eldest could spot another one coming down the road at two years old!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a britax boulevard behind the driver seat (I'm 6'4") and we have a graco snugride behind the passenger seat. Everything fits nicely. This was one of the many reasons we got rid of our sport.

·
Registered
438 Posts
rudseyrover said:
I have three kids under three (twins too) and to make my life less stressful I drive a RR . I have found the car to be perfect for lugging pushchairs around, the tailgate makes a perfect table to change, dress and feed kids. As they get older they will appreciate the great visibility too.

The three seats across the back are tight and there is a system to putting them in to overcome the overlapping belts. It will be more of a problem when they out grow the child seats with harnesses as access to the buckles is very tight.

Where RRs are a bit weak is the back doors don't open widely and its tricky loading the middle baby seat with the child.

I am 6'2" and never had any problems with leg room.

The hardest thing has been watching the car get destroyed by the kids, the back seats despite using thick mats as protection are dented the child seats, they are covered in all sorts of food debris/mud, the floor littered with more food debris. The boot and roof lining in the back are trashed from putting in two big pushchairs! A small price to pay for them being safe in such a big car. My kids love the car and ask to travel in it over the others, my eldest could spot another one coming down the road at two years old!
yeah i was thinking about when my oldest needs a booster the 3 across might not work for the very reason that it will be next to impossible to get ur hand in between the seats to buckle the belt. oh well!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My boys are both massive FFRR fans too! (8 & 4)

Very proud when we enter the school car park although they were even prouder when I had my GT500 and Charger Daytona as second cars as the kids thought I was some kind of racing driver!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts