Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering using their V8 overhaul service and wondered if anyone here had first hand experience of using them, if so, would you recommend them?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
You're in Wiltshire and want to truck your motor all the way to Moray Scotland?!
Turners in Lingfield, V8 Developments in Spalding, RPI in Norwich all spring to mind as closer to home and with great reputations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parents live in Scotland and I want to use someone who has no interest in selling me another engine. Hence looking at choosing someone who does overhauls but not sales of new engines. :)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts
You mean you don't want a brand new Coscast block, that is the magical cure for everything? Shame on you....:lol:
Yeah, V8 Developments and RPI were touting those as the latest and greatest for a while, then they started coming back to them under warranty.
I also wont deal with folks that are more interested in selling me something new, when what I have is perfectly serviceable. Good for you.

Martin

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am keen to keep my current engine as it has served well and still even on original heads at 142,000 odd miles . Runs well, just could do with an overhaul and no doubt the odd thing replaced so hopefully it will be good for another 18 years!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts
I know you have a V8Dev rebuilt engine (IIRC), and it is nothing against you, or your engine, but
I Wonder why they replied to a guy I knows email, when he enquired about one, saying.....
We can no longer supply Costcast blocks or short motors

Note the "no longer"? Yes, they messed with them, as did Turner.
I'll give V8Dev credit for actually saying "Coscast blocks do not address the problems associated with Rover blocks"

So yes, I think most shops fell for them, at least for a while.

Martin

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I think it was RPi that pushed them hard as the answer to everything under the sun but I've found RPi to be arrogant and extremely overpriced. Yes, I took my engine to V8 Dev to have it done and Ray there is a real craftsman. He rebuilt the engine to their normal standards and replaced everything that he found was worn, even to the point of replacing one of my knock sensors as he found it was faulty when he was putting the motor back together.

It's now got just over 20,000 miles on it and I got back last night from a 2,058 mile round trip in 3 days. Towing over 2 tonnes and cruising at 80 mph, it pulls like a train and hasn't used a drop of oil.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts
RPI was pushing harder than anyone else, and like I said, at least V8Dev quit selling them after realizing the deal.
Good deal on the motor:thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts