RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have a failed axle seal. #8 in the graphic.
The oil in my differential is over level and very contaminated with swivel housing grease. So I'm pretty sure the axle seal is toast.

Here's the question.
Do I have to disassemble the entire swivel housing or can I start at the axle/swivel housing point and just tear it down from there?

axle.JPG

I would like to avoid the several hour project to disassemble the entire hub. Remember I have to do it twice.
I've made a lovely graphic to get right to the point. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,085 Posts
You don't need to disassemble the hub - the whole thing will slide out with the axle but it weighs a tonne. The two bolts that hold the caliper on hold the swivel housing together. When I undid them it loosened the big seal on the swivel and when I put it back together the seal leaked, so I would recommend replacing that seal as well.
There are some spacers under the caliper bolts that provide the correct pre-load to the swivel housing - don't lose them and make sure they go back the same way.
Why don't you check your swivel housings for diff oil? That will tell you which seal is leaking so you only have to do one side - you could also just ignore the problem - before grease the swivel houses ran diff oil anyway - the main thing the grease does is stop the oil dripping out of the big seal on the swivel.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
PS you can avoid this problem by disconnecting the brakelines rather than removing the caliper, it will add to the weight but bleeding the brakes is way easier than going anywhere near the big seal on the swivel.

Also I don't have ABS - not sure if this complicates things or not

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I'll write it up when I'm done and post it on my blog.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
my response is a bit garbled - there are two bolts that hold the lines to the caliper - if you undo these you loosen off the swivel joint and break the seal. My suggestion is to disconnect the lines and then remove the caliper rather than hanging the caliper up out of the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts