Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I purchased a Sport over 7 months ago.

I received this email tonight...it really makes no sense what so ever.

Is this normal? He sends it from his PERSONAL email AND texts me from his PERSONAL cell? And he did so again at 9pm to check urgently if I sent it over...

I don't know why he wouldn't just email me from his work e-mail and give me a day or two. Doesn't seem like standard business practice. Just weird.

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:09:44 -0400
To: ME
Subject: Landrover (dealer name here)

Daniel,
Good evening this **salesman john smith** (censored for privacy) @landrover (dealer name here), sorry to bother you, but I need a copy of your business card for *my company's name here*, landrover corporate is doing an annual audit and they.need to tie your name to **my company's name here** for that sport you purchased is there any way you can take a picture of your business cards and text it to me i appreciatte your help
Thanks

Sent via the HTC Vivid***8482;, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

----

Like...what?

I have no problem what so ever sending him over a business card with my name and position on it...but better question is...what the hell does that prove? Anyone could simply Pshop some card, or even say they don't have a card.

I figured some of you on the forum may have some idea as to why this works. Maybe they show the IRS that we are legitimate business owners? Too many drug dealers/rappers buying Rovers with cold cash and not declaring names?

And his english absolutely sucks.

-----
FURTHER INTERACTION:

He sent me the EXACT same text as the body of the email...I originally obliged b/c I was busy working, and then thought about it, and didn't end up sending.

I know it is HIM, because I wrote back "Tie this card with the Evoque as well...whats the status?"

Reply: "Yes, that is what I'm planning on doing saving a copy of it for my file. The Evoque is still.on schedule for last week.of May."

Me: "I thought it was 1st week?"

Reply: "I'll.double check in the morning if its last week of 1st week."

Me: "I hope 1st..that was original eta. Picturing incoming to your mail in a few minutes."

Reply: "Ok thanks did you send it to my work or personal email? My personal email is [email protected]"

20 minutes later-- (9:00pm)
Reply: "Just checked the work email nothing came through yet."

9 minutes later--
Reply: "Can you please resend it again?"

---

I never responded. Something just feels off. Their audit, as far as I'm concerned, is not my problem.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
That's strange indeed. My family, as a whole, has purchased many new Bmw's, LR's, and Jags over the years, most with cash up front and never have we had a salesman personally contact us either with email or cell after the sale, especially for auditing reasons. Also, we have/own our own business as well and never had to tie our name to it when purchasing a car, unless we finance. Is that normal practice for dealers? Did you forget to fill some information on the title or deed of purchase? Also, I really highly doubt LR corporate cares who and how people are buying their products (financially at least, besides pushing incentives to finance), as long as they're being sold. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So awkward. He would have said I did not fill out info or something...or attached info on what exactly I was missing. Approaching me in that matter is by no means any bit professional...

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
100% agreed, very unprofessional, especially towards someone who put down big bucks buying a luxury suv. I'd call the manager of the dealer and inform him of the after hours texts (extremely unprofessional for a dealership) and emails. Maybe even get a free car detail or service for it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with the user above, I'd bring it up to the manager of the dealership. Is this dealership close to you? If so, I'd go do it in person so you can show them what you're getting. Maybe it's some sort of spam or something? But it's definitely sounds sketchy.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Flash, you've had quite a strong pimp hand with the ladies in the past, is it possible that he misinterpreted something you said and is interested in you in a non-professional manner?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
821 Posts
100% agreed, very unprofessional, especially towards someone who put down big bucks buying a luxury suv. I'd call the manager of the dealer and inform him of the after hours texts (extremely unprofessional for a dealership) and emails. Maybe even get a free car detail or service for it.
This.

Call management and ask what is going on - mention that it sounds unprofessional.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called Land Rover NA and they didn't even know they were having an audit. It's "internal information."

I called my dealership and the sales manager confirmed that it was in fact all legitimate and that they have hand-selected a few cases through random selection to confirm all credentials and paperwork. Not sure what the hell a business card will do, as one can easily replicate one through Photoshop, but the IRS never had the brightest team of employees.

All in all, case closed.

Unless I come back in 2 months to find out all my CC's are maxed out, my property over leveraged, and have 20 outstanding loans...

Thx for the help guys.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flash, you've had quite a strong pimp hand with the ladies in the past, is it possible that he misinterpreted something you said and is interested in you in a non-professional manner?
He did wink at me last time I was looking at the Evoque...I knew that wasn't a twitch...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts