RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveling in Colorado over Monarch Pass I came across this beautifully restored rig with steam coming out of the engine and stopped to offer help.

20190521_162442279_iOS.jpg

Just having mapped the electric fans in a restored truck myself, it seemed that the fans were the problem casing the truck to overheat on the steep mountain pass. Having no tools I couldn't fix anything and the only alternative was to offer to tow him about 2 miles to the top of the pass. It is quite steep (coming down the signs says more than 6%) and there were still a layer of snow on the road.

Contemplation

The rig dwarfed the RR (regular all-season tires) and needless to say everybody, including me, was dubious that I will be able to move the rig, never mind taking it all the way to the top.

20190521_162433471_iOS.jpg

Low range, taking it slow, no wheel spin, and the RR conquered the mountain!

20190521_162453956_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, what a great story and an even greater act of kindness!

So despite 400hp, you were on all-season tires, in snow, on an incline? Yeah, I wouldn't have thought it'd make it either. Very impressive indeed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice job. Well done. It's been a few years since I would drive over Monarch pass but recall it's over 11,000 ft and as you say, quite steep over the top. I had to make that trip once each quarter for four years and amazingly only found it closed due to snow once. But there was never much traffic so Mr Toad was lucky you came along.

Are they Pirelli Scorpion all season tires on your wheels?

I'm a proud 2006 RR SC owner myself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing.

Well done, again showing the impressive towing capabilities of LRs.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts