RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I just bought my first P38 and am having it transported by an open hauler -the only reasonable price I could find. The company wants to ship it with the doors locked- which I understand. But I want to avoid an experience a friend of mine had when he received his P38 --upon arrival his battery was flat and had to jump it in order to drive off of the trailer. He always believed it was a courtesy light left on during transport but cannot remember why he came to that conclusion.

Lucky for him he had no issues entering the EKA- from what I have read-- seems to occur most often when the battery dies with the doors locked and the alarm set.

From my search on this forum, it seems more likely that his alarm was set and the BECM kept waking up and drew down the battery. I want to avoid any of the possible dreaded EKA issues and feel that the safest thing is to tell the company I do not want the doors locked during transport. If they insist I have a few questions since I am new to the P38.

Is the alarm only set with the FOB-- or is the alarm set even if you manually lock the door with the key?

Is there any way to lock the doors and not set the alarm?

Thank you for any comments or suggestions. And the new journey begins.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,198 Posts
Your car, your rules as far as the transport company goes...
Easiest and safest thing it to disconnect the battery with a door open, then close the door.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your car, your rules as far as the transport company goes...
Easiest and safest thing it to disconnect the battery with a door open, then close the door.
Thank you--- neubie question-- why do you leave the door open when you disconnect the battery. I probably will not have that option if the driver will need to unload my truck in order to unload other cars on the hauler before he gets to my house. Even if he will connect up the battery each time- not sure he will remember to keep the door open when disconnecting.

Is the alarm always set if you use the key to lock the door-starting to believe that is the case with all the microswitches in the latch system

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,198 Posts
Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery can lock the doors....Not good if the key is inside.
Some of those car haulers are real queens at times, why leaving it unlocked is an issue is beyond me.
Yes the alarm is set regardless, as soon as you lock the rig up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you -I have much more past thread reading to do- the forum has a vast amount of solid information I need to absorb. Since I always wrench on my own machines I am going to buy a Nanocom P38 07 (I bought a 2000 HSE with Bosch system). Not sure if I need and should include any of the additional code packs such as the 16 and 17 which they offer.

Thank you again

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,198 Posts
You cant go wrong with BBS's stuff IMHO. I have their full blown Faultmate and love it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
The easiest way... drive vehicle onto the trailer... disconnect battery with the vehicle UNLOCKED. Lock 3 doors from the inside with the sill button, then lock drivers door with the key. No alarm set, nothing.

Generally with a P38 if you disconnect the power, it will power back up in the state it was left... IE if it was locked and alarmed and battery disconnect/goes flat - then when you put a new battery on/reconnect the battery, then it will power up and lock everything/alarm the vehicle. If you disconnect the vehicle with the doors unlocked vehicle not alarmed, then it will power back up in an unlocked/disarmed state. All you will have to do is re-sync the key fob.

The Nanocom is a good option for DIY diagnostics - I use one for everything by BECM programming/resetting which needs to be done on the bench with my Faultmate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Marty-- locking with the battery disconnected makes good sense based upon your clear explanation of how the P38 operates.

I will see if I can talk the seller into making my case to the long haul shipper who may have a few other cars on his rig and will need to move mine around during drop-offs. I could not find a single car shipper through the broker I am using so I have to go multi-car open trailer.

Ok- I am going to move on the basic Nanocom P38 unit. Any reason for me to buy either of the two expanded code units they sell for the P38? I do not know enough to make an educated decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts