RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I purchased an 09 RRS with 20 inch rims. But there were Off Road tires like BFG AT that were available at the time. Using semi snow tires like the Nitto Grapplers I had one flat on a steep grade and had a long walk back to town. Actually bent the rim did not blow the tire. Hopefully the tire makers are making OFF Road Tires by now for this tire size as more and more SUV brands are going to 20 inch rims.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
The problem with that size rim is always going to be the short sidewall, compounded by the minimal clearance inside the wells that really limits diameter of a wheel to 32" or less without major rubbing or modifications. 5" or 6" of sidewall ain't much to protect your rims, beads and valves, regardless of how hard core the rubber is, especially if you need to air down. Unless they manage to make these vehicles substantially lighter in the future, the gigantic brakes in the new Land Rovers will always get in the way of a serious off-road setup. /:(

Quite a few owners here seem happy with Cooper Zeon LTZs sized 285/50 on their 20" rims. That's as much meat as you can put on a Sport with 20s, and my experience with the same tire (in an 18" size though, quite a difference) has been very positive on fairly nasty looking rock gardens, although I don't run the Rubicon on a regular basis, either. :wink:
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
4,469 Posts
ChipN said:
Last year I purchased an 09 RRS with 20 inch rims. But there were Off Road tires like BFG AT that were available at the time. Using semi snow tires like the Nitto Grapplers I had one flat on a steep grade and had a long walk back to town. Actually bent the rim did not blow the tire. Hopefully the tire makers are making OFF Road Tires by now for this tire size as more and more SUV brands are going to 20 inch rims.
Sounds like you need a spare tire and a good jack as well...
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
PJPR01 said:
ChipN said:
Last year I purchased an 09 RRS with 20 inch rims. But there were Off Road tires like BFG AT that were available at the time. Using semi snow tires like the Nitto Grapplers I had one flat on a steep grade and had a long walk back to town. Actually bent the rim did not blow the tire. Hopefully the tire makers are making OFF Road Tires by now for this tire size as more and more SUV brands are going to 20 inch rims.
Sounds like you need a spare tire and a good jack as well...
For long walks back to town I recommend the Garmont Sticky Dragons,

http://www.zappos.com/garmont-sticky-dragon-red-dark-grey-1
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
4,469 Posts
...and also an ARB plug kit in lieu of a spare tire. Used that several times on trips with friends...luckily have never had a flat on my Nittos in almost 80K miles on them.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
PJPR01 said:
...and also an ARB plug kit in lieu of a spare tire. Used that several times on trips with friends...luckily have never had a flat on my Nittos in almost 80K miles on them.
I wasn't so lucky on a trip to Death Valley I took with SCLR last month, got a nasty, good 1/2" tear on my Coopers. Probably my fault for not airing down since it was an innocent looking dirt road, but in Death Valley even gravel can cut like a knife, I should know better as I've had a flat nearby before. `) It took 5 plugs (!), just to be able to stop the leak and continue on to a paved area, where I decided to replace the tire anyway as I didn't feel comfortable continuing on with all those plugs while driving at high speed (we were going "Baja 1000 style" on long stretches of trails .) Upon my return to L.A. I had the tire checked, sure enough it was too large a gash to be repairable. Had to buy a new tire. During this same trip, we had another 3 flat tires on other cars in our group. If you go to Death Valley, 2 spares would be better than one. And the ARB kit is a lifesaver.

Here is a picture someone took of my sick puppy, I think I had 3 plugs in there at the time, but added another couple to seal it. :lol:

 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
Crikey Umberto. I'm surprised it held at all.

I try to stay away from places with the word "dead" in them, Death Valley, Dead Mans Gulch, etc. `)

Curious about one thing. Maybe its the shadows or perspective, but the outermost tread blocks on the Coopers look like they wear in a feathering pattern (every other tread block is lower than the one on either side in a ramped pattern). Or is that the design when they are new? Those tires look like they have ~10K on them?

I've had that problem on my FJ with 2 sets of AT tires which have big tread blocks on the edges. They are flat when new, eventually wear that way and get much, much noisier. Now I'm on my 3rd set (of a different brand) and got a full alignment as well and they don't seem to do that...yet. Not sure if its the design or alignment. The tire guy I deal with just says some brands do that, others don't, so I'm just wondering if the Coopers are prone to that. The noisy as they age thing is one thing keeping me from putting a set of Coopers on the RRS for year round use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
G'Day ChipN.

There are one or two specialist patterns floating around in 20" sizes from 'Hardcore' 4WD tyre manufacturers for our Rangies ?

Mention Coopers product in Australia and the experiences of the chosen few on this forum taking their Rovers off-highway, is just the tip of the iceberg in poor performance and issues with punctures down under where tyre failures happen with Coopers !

Especially in the Western Australian outback where corrugated roads with cut and chip collateral damage appears on tyres here.

Cheerio,


Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
vinniman said:
G'Day ChipN.

There are one or two specialist patterns floating around in 20" sizes from 'Hardcore' 4WD tyre manufacturers for our Rangies ?

Mention Coopers product in Australia and the experiences of the chosen few on this forum taking their Rovers off-highway, is just the tip of the iceberg in poor performance and issues with punctures down under where tyre failures happen with Coopers !

Especially in the Western Australian outback where corrugated roads with cut and chip collateral damage appears on tyres here.

Cheerio,


Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

[youtube:gb5g7ah5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw_sDnTd9_E[/youtube:gb5g7ah5]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Struth.

Gooseyloosey from New Jersey ! Aah haa, that's the other cow ? Best to stick with the Bell racing Helmeted-ExxonMobil sponsored-paddle tyred-FJ "Tojo" I think.

Cheerio,


Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Coopers look like they wear in a feathering pattern (every other tread block is lower than the one on either side in a ramped pattern). Or is that the design when they are new?
Maybe you'll be able to understand Arizonian better: They come that way. `)
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
Drevs said:
gooseyloosey said:
Coopers look like they wear in a feathering pattern (every other tread block is lower than the one on either side in a ramped pattern). Or is that the design when they are new?
Maybe you'll be able to understand Arizonian better: They come that way. `)
Gracias mucho por el consejo, Senor Drevs.

(back at ya in Arizonian `) )
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top