RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing a "MudPod" onto the dash with volts, engine oil temp / pressure and transmission temp gauges. I've also added a double USB for the sat nav etc.
Transmission sender is still to be plumbed in.
At least now I've a better idea of what's going on under the bonnet.
I've put all of the hole inside the depression where the dash mat fits so that it covers them if the pods removed.
I'm quite pleased the way it's come out, I don't think it looks too OTT.

. P1080695.jpg

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,686 Posts
As far as I know they all are. There's only one part number across all markets and models.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Never seen one down here that isn't wrinkle finish either,

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must admit I didn't think about the finish but as everyone's said I thought it was standard, a sort of plastic leather finish.
DaGlitch thanks for the comment, the more I look at it the happier I am.
I've added another view of the pod and dash finish.

P1080695.jpg WP_20150201_13_03_04_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
this looks good almost exactly what I been thinking to do question do you get sun reflection from sunroof
on the gauges do you find them easy to read from drivers seat
If I did this I would find some wood facia around the gauges and a 5th gauge rather than usb the other option I'm considering is 5 gauges around and over the top of the instrument bezel above steering wheel and moulding another bezel over the top perhaps cutting doner dash to suit any thoughts ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only small reflection issue is at night but turning the dimmer down slightly cures most of it.
I find that I can see the gauges clearly although not completely accurately because of being at an angle but I put them in for indication purposes.
As long as they indicate that they're in the ball park I'm happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks beautiful mate! How did you go about installing them? As I am looking into getting some more information as to the system status myself

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RangeAddict, apologies for the delay in replying.
I drilled down through the right hand bottom corner of the coin mat depression for the cables. With the instrument cluster (RHD) removed it's quite an easy reach, for you I would suggest the left hand corner (nearest to the cluster).
Doing it in the depression meant that if I wanted to remove the gauges I could conceal the hole by sticking the mat back.
The gauge sensor wiring went through an existing firewall grommet below the coolant header tank and the power was taken from the cigarette lighter. The wiring is hidden behind centre consul covers which I took off to gain access to the cigarette lighter connections.
The pod itself was a Mud Pod, which has an aluminum base and two external securing screws fixing the pod to the base. The base was screwed directly to the dash but again within the mat depression so won't be noticed if the mat is glued back.
I did have to level the ally base, for which I used some plastic stripping I had lying around.
Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
462 Posts
RangeAddict, apologies for the delay in replying.
I drilled down through the right hand bottom corner of the coin mat depression for the cables. With the instrument cluster (RHD) removed it's quite an easy reach, for you I would suggest the left hand corner (nearest to the cluster).
Doing it in the depression meant that if I wanted to remove the gauges I could conceal the hole by sticking the mat back.
The gauge sensor wiring went through an existing firewall grommet below the coolant header tank and the power was taken from the cigarette lighter. The wiring is hidden behind centre consul covers which I took off to gain access to the cigarette lighter connections.
The pod itself was a Mud Pod, which has an aluminum base and two external securing screws fixing the pod to the base. The base was screwed directly to the dash but again within the mat depression so won't be noticed if the mat is glued back.
I did have to level the ally base, for which I used some plastic stripping I had lying around.
Hope this is of some help.
Hang on a second! That mat is supposed to be glued to the dash? No wonder it slides all over the place if I have anything in it! Lol

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,686 Posts
No the dash mat is not designed to be glued. If it is sliding around it is either installed backwards or dried out from age. A spot of armourall will keep it in place if facing the correct direction.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, totally agree the mat isn't intended to be glued but my intent would be just to keep the hole disguised if I removed the gauge pod.
Must admit to having had double side tape under mine though, stopped it moving with my phone on :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts