Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traced the wires from the back of an extra fog light switch in my dash today and it seems I'm wired for aux lights (pictured) Found the harnesses laying down in the lower grill in the bumper. Since I have the bracket already in the front brush gaurd, hopfully aux lights will be plug and play. Does anyone know, is this connection for OE Land Rover lights or is this connection common with other brands too (hella.. ect)? Thanks for feedback!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Definitely aftermarket connections. My guess is that it would work for both OE Land Rover lights and aftermarket. Throw a voltmeter on the end of the plug and double check you're getting a good solid voltage. One thing I would check would be to see if there was any kind of relay in that circuit so that all of the current isn't going directly through that switch on the dash.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
Definitely been bodged in!

The factory spots are wired to those kind of connectors, yes. However the factory LR harness has a piggy back connector which comes off the RH high beam (in front of the battery) and uses this as a trigger wire for a relay to power the spotlights directly from the battery, so they operate when the high beams come on.

As DaGlitch says, I would look to see if that switch is driving a relay, which then powers the connectors that you've found. If so, then then should all be fine. If it comes direct from the switch, then I would look at putting a relay in - as I don't think the switch contacts will handle the current load of a pair of spotlights too well!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You were both right to be concerned. Following the wires, I couldn't find any relay under the hood. 99% sure it's directly to the switch. I suppose it's "possible" that they put a relay behind the interior trim, but I highly doubt it, and I already put my interior back together. Since all the kits usually come with wire and relay, it's probably best just cut out the old crap and start fresh. I always wanted Hella Black Majic lamps and I think they would look pretty nice with the dark blue. Good news is that I already have the bracket on the brush guard. One more thing on my laundry list...

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Is it actually a proper fog light switch? as they don't latch, they're momentary.
Depends on which fog switch it is. There are non latching for factory front and rear fogs and matching latching style for aux. Latching aux light switches were a dealer install item and are pretty close to impossible to find. They were usually installed in the switch blank on auto rigs. Some folks have also used a hazard with a fog button when adding aux lights as the buttons are all interchangeable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it actually a proper fog light switch? as they don't latch, they're momentary.
Yes, it's momentary like the one that runs my front and rear fogs.

Depends on which fog switch it is. There are non latching for factory front and rear fogs and matching latching style for aux. Latching aux light switches were a dealer install item and are pretty close to impossible to find. They were usually installed in the switch blank on auto rigs. Some folks have also used a hazard with a fog button when adding aux lights as the buttons are all interchangeable.
Nice! I have an extra hazard switch. Didn't even think about this issue. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Yes Carl IIRC your 'Granite' had it.

Well, if it's the proper fog light (or any momentary) switch, then for the lights to work it need's a smart circuit AND a relay (you can get latching relays, but they are rare and expensive (again iirc)).

Also odd it has another connection so close to the switch (you'd have thought this would/could have been a continuous wire to where-ever it needs to go), is going into the loom, is it a factory wire (the gray one and whatever the red goes to)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also odd it has another connection so close to the switch (you'd have thought this would/could have been a continuous wire to where-ever it needs to go), is going into the loom, is it a factory wire (the gray one and whatever the red goes to)?
Yea, so the red has a connector going into the black and then the black coming off the switch connects to the grey wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts