Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Thought I might as well put up a post detailing installation of my DCDC battery charger and auxiliary battery.

Part 1 is the battery tray fabrication and installation which is here:
https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/4...ray-fabrication-installation.html#post2241078

so this is part 2 of the project.

As with part 1, this is not intended to be a step-by-step "how-to" guide - it's a "how-I-did-it" which I hope some might find useful.

I selected a Redarc
BCDC1240D charger and a good capacity 120AH AGM battery, which I had already made the tray to suit.

Notations on my photos but briefly:
- 100A cable from the main battery. There's a spare M8 thread on the +ve battery connector which made hooking in simple.
- to 60A inline fuse.
- back to 100A cable to join the charger input wire.
- Charger output wire to 60A inline fuse then I used the same 100A cable again from that to the aux. battery.
- All connections crimped (using my new hydraulic crimper which I love!) and soldered before heatshrinking to insulate.
- The charger needs an ignition trigger to tell is when to start charging due to the variable voltage alternator. I found a suitable unused fuse position in the fuse box behind the RHS cargo area panel.
- I'm running 2 aux. power circuits in the boot using 25A cable. Each circuit has a 15A auto-reset circuit breaker.
- The merit sockets are mounted in the little cubby-hole in the RHS cargo trim panel. The power & earth cables are plugged via 30A Anderson plugs so I can unplug if I need to remove the trim panel.
- The Redarc charger has a wire which provides a charging signal to an LED so I ran this to the console bin between the front seats & connected an LED switch. The LED lights when the charger is charging.
- I used a switch as I intended to fit a voltmeter as well, so I could push the switch to display the aux. battery voltage. I haven't done this as I can't find a small enough digital voltmeter that looks OK. The smallest I've found are panel mount displays which light up well but are 'raw' without any form of case.
- I also ran a third circuit to the front of the car intending to use that for the voltmeter measurement and I'm toying with the idea of a dashcam which I could power permanently from the aux. battery.

Cheers

Craig

Machine Advertising Banner

Wire Auto part Technology Electronic device Subcompact car

Technology Electrical wiring Auto part Machine

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Vehicle audio Auto part

Electronics Electronic component Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory

Text Wall Asphalt Road surface Granite

Multimedia Technology Electronic device Electronics Font

1 - 1 of 1 Posts