Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New owner of a 95 SWB here and working out a few kinks. Anyone have intermittent trouble with the aux switches? My fog lights, front and rear heated glass dont work as they should. if i depress any of the 3 and jiggle the switch, i can get it to engage, (heated glass will stay, fog lights will not although it does get them to come on for a split second) Is this a bad switch or faulty wiring? I have pulled them, blown copious amounts of dust off, and tested the wiring and all seems ok.

Also are these switches meant to be illuminated when not in use but lights on? The orange indicator works well when i can get them engaged but there is no other illumination.

Lastly, is there a recommendation of online sources for parts?

thanks in advance for any help

AP

·
Registered
217 Posts
The switch for the heated front screen is a "momentary" switch - it doesn't stay in when the circuit is active - one press turns it on and then it turns itself off on a timer unless you push it again to turn it off. The others are regular switches and should stay "in" when pressed to turn on. I can't tell from your description if you're getting the other 2 swtiches to stay in on their own or not. If they won't stay in, then the switch is bad, if they stay in the the wiring or the switch could be bad.

Pretty sure all the switches should be illuminated with the lights on - Red/Green wire coming off the rheostat/dimmer I think so I'd start with checking that.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
...Pretty sure all the switches should be illuminated with the lights on...
With lights on, the dash lights should indeed be illuminated. I've replace so many switches in my '95 that I have a pretty good collection of switches as well as backlights. In terms of where you can source them now...since you're stateside, RN and AB are good places to start if you want new OEM. If you're ok with used switches, there are plenty of breakers that should be able to provide something.

I know someone has tried to replace the lights with LEDs, and that's on my list of projects, but I don't recall how that worked out for him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply! sorry my description wasn't great.

Heated front and rear glass: yes, are momentary. i am not getting them to stay in. if, while they are depressed, i jiggle them up and down slightly, i can almost always get the front and 50% of time get the rear to come on. they come back out to original position and the amber light glows as supposed to.
The Fog Lights : same as prior, jiggle it while depressed and i gen get the lights to come on for a second, but when it locks into "active" place, they do not stay on
none of the 6 aux switches except my cruise control are illuminated green with the lights on.
also, my fuel door switch is not always opening as supposed to. door closed, truck off, key out, pass door unlocked and i have to really jam it to get the door to open.

Do i just need to replace these switches? and the little bulbs inside of them?

Thanks for the help.

The switch for the heated front screen is a "momentary" switch - it doesn't stay in when the circuit is active - one press turns it on and then it turns itself off on a timer unless you push it again to turn it off. The others are regular switches and should stay "in" when pressed to turn on. I can't tell from your description if you're getting the other 2 swtiches to stay in on their own or not. If they won't stay in, then the switch is bad, if they stay in the the wiring or the switch could be bad.

Pretty sure all the switches should be illuminated with the lights on - Red/Green wire coming off the rheostat/dimmer I think so I'd start with checking that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It should be easy to pull the switch out and test with a jumper (following the ETS manual from the RAVE sticky to see what should connect to what). I would do that before ordering a bunch of switches. Same for the backlight, you can test to make sure the feed/ground for the switch is working as expected, and check for continuity on the switch for the bulb connections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts