RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around but can't seem to get a straight answer on the subject above. I have a 2004 L322 with BMW-based head unit that looks like this (minus "telephone" and "television" options):

I also have 6-disk CD changer in the trunk as well as Logic7 speakers, which I believe implies that I have DSP amplifier. All I'm trying to achieve is to have Auxiliary input, and nothing else. I don't care about Bluetooth or any additional functionality that units like Dynovin provide. Currently I'm using tape-to-aux contraption and the sound it produces is nothing short of horrible.
I am OK with losing CD changer, or replacing the head unit to an updated BMW version that has aux support; I just can't seem to get a definitive answer on what the best way to achieve this, especially without tearing half of the interior apart.
If anyone has done this and can provide any feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There is no hidden plug or magic connector available to do this. The easiest solution is to buy a new aftermarket head unit that is plug and play.

I have ave read on here of a solution that removed the CD changer in the glove box and used it’s source level input as an aux input. Search for it, it’s on here somewhere.

I have a 2004, and I just live with radio, as the NYC area has plenty to listen to.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
yea, after market is a bit over board for a simple aux input. If you type "2003 ipod input" or "2004 ipod input" you will find a couple of generic input options. Depending on what you are inputting, an FM modulator is fast and easy to install. they usually have enough cable on the input jack to place the jack in a variety of locations.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
385 Posts
Based on what I read in your link, it’s the trunk unit. You still will need a head unit that supports an Aux input. There are head units out there made for the 2004 RR that is plug and play and gives you everything that you need. Replacing the head unit is very straight forward, and can be done in an hour, if you’ve never done it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Wayne! The only one that I know that's somewhat plug-n-play is Dynavin and that requires rewiring for DSP, which I think all Logic7 Rovers have, which is a major PITA. If anyone knows of a truly plug-n-play head unit, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to bump my own thread, but just talked to Grom Audio and they do have a product that plugs in place of your CD-Changer and has aux out: https://gromaudio.com/store/aux1_adapters/grom-aux1-bmwt.html
The only catch is to make sure your CD-Changer has two 3-pin and 6-pin connectors, and not a single 10-pin connector. Does anyone know if it's possible to check/unplug the CD-changer without going through the procedure of dropping the glovebox?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
No clue. Have you looked or felt above the glove box when it's open? On newer models you can empty the glove box, open it then release the retaining arms at the top and drop it all the way down to the floor. On 2003 models you had the remover the dash pad, head unit, multidisplay to remove the cassette/ CD multiunit. 2004 went to the glove box. It can't be all that difficult to access the back of the changer unit. You should be able to feel if it is one plug or two.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, just looked. CD-changer is in a self-enclosed plastic housing and you can't reach behind it, and the glovebox needs to be dropped to get to it. What a stupid design by LR!
Here's a good video illustrating the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu5q9QqILGo

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi envogue, and thank you for the reply. Apologies if it’s a dumb question, but where does the BM unit live? Is it piggy-backed off of the amplified in the back, or is it the head unit behind the screen in the dashboard?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its in the boot, same area as the amp, nav unit etc. My BM54 is fitted with Bluetooth and i can stream music through this, all i had to run was one thin cable to the front which is the microphone and this is now located on the roof console. To use bluetooth i select AUX on the head unit. I don't have a separate AUX input as well as the BT.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your reply, envogue. Few more questions, if you don't mind, as I wasn't aware BM53/54 had Bluetooth A2DP capability and that would make my life so much better. So aside from running a microphone from BM54 in the trunk to the front of the car, there's no other cable that needs to run to the head unit? Did your BM54 have aux input in it, and all you had to was to connect 2.5mm aux cable? The reason I ask is because I was some videos on Youtube where people are removing their head units and splicing aux input into that; not sure if this was mandatory or they did it out of convenience and so they wouldn't have to go to the trunk each time.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The BM54 came with the bluetooth already installed, with a long fine cable coming out of it it which is connected to the microphone, and bluetooth control. I have run the cable on the inside of the door rubbers and then across from the passenger side under the roof lining to the centre console in the roof. It works well with an iPhone 8.

·
Registered
34 Posts
its inside the bm54. its looks like a normal bm54 except it has a mic cable coming out of it. i just plugged it in and it worked.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, this is awesome! Do you remember where you bought yours, or what the part number was? This is exactly the plug-n-play setup I'm looking for!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im afraid the guy i got mine from doesn't post to the states. I have had a quick look online and did find this http://www.carphonics.co.uk/bm54upgrades.htm it looks like they do a bluetooth option for the BM54. FYI I have never purchased from this company, so you will also need to check with them the BM54 does what you want.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, envogue! I reached out to them and looks like they can help! I'll keep everyone posted, though be forewarned, with shipping to and from UK, this may take a while. I'll update this thread once everything is (hopefully) resolved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts