RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's,

a mates p38 has a problem with the gearbox..

When you select drive, it drives but slow (almost like the clutch is slipping), but if you put it in low range it seems to be ok (not slipping).

Ive plugged it in with my nanocom & doesn't show any faults.

Can anyone help me with this??

Many thanks in advance

ASH

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still the same if you pull away in 1st, 2nd & 3rd but drives normal speed in reverse

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
When was the last time the trans was serviced?
Get a quality filter kit, and do one.......Particular attention to the o ring seall on the filter

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's just done a gearbox service (oil & filter) but made no diffrence

·
Registered
359 Posts
Oil level ok?

Could be slipping clutch indeed, could be a faulty torque converter.

My manual doesn't has these symptomes in it.

How many km's has the car done?
Germans can build automatic gearboxes who shift real smooth, but they can't build a gearbox that last a long time..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
OK,
Now it is time to tell us all what year this is???
You have to follow a VERY specific procedure to properly fill a later box....Like Bosh engine vintage......The Germans, in their infinitesimal wisdom decided to omit the dipstick on late models!
If you have a dipstick, then no worries, but if not, then park on a level surface, and with trans cold, start it up, press brake and run it through all gears. Put in park, and whilst engine is running, but before the trans heats up, get under and top up trans till it pukes back out the filler hole. It helps to go to extended height, if it has not been castrated...... Close it up, cross fingers, and go for a drive!
OH, and nothing wrong with the German Transmissions.....anything will die horribly if not properly maintained.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Could it be something other than the gearbox? It's an auto with a torque converter so will slip at low speeds, it's designed to do that. If you have brakes stuck on it won't want to move in drive but in low ratio the grunt will overcome the resistance. Can you move it by pushing or towing it?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I was also thinking maybe the car had gone into "limp home" mode. The gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear when it does. It is normally a soft fault, cleared by recycling the ignition. However a fault would be logged which you would see with your nanocom.
Other questions: Does the gearbox change up through the gears even though it appears to be slipping? Will the car free wheel when you get up to speed and coast in neutral?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts