RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone tell me what to watch out for with an autobox, I have never owned an auto before, everything seems OK it drives really smoothly and does eveything it is supposed to do, but I feel as though I am waiting for it to break after reading some posts on reliability also we are due to be going to France in the near future and the thought of breaking down away from home is not on.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Yes it is a 4.4 BMW with 75k on clock, but do the boxes give any warning when they are about to expire? I have never owned an auto before so I have not got any expierience of autos whatsoever.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Possibly you can notice the transmission that needs attention. It will sometimes whine, or studder when shifting, or start to slip between gears. Those symptoms point to different potential problems, and in most cases can be serviced. Like Dan said, fresh oil and filter in the ZF tranny goes a long way, my trans felt like it was going to grenade before I changed the oil, now it runs like new. Do search on the forums for proper oil and replacement procedure.

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for info,
I have seen the oil service routine on other posts and the plan is that as the autobox seems to be spot on, I hope to leave it untill next spring and by that time it will be near 80k and before it does any towing or the ambient temperature rises, I will ckeck/ change the radiator and have the oil and filter changed.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
stagger said:
It may be an age related term
I think it's an American thing Gearbox = Transmision, like Discs & Rotors, Boot & Trunk, Wing & Fender, Bonnet & Hood.

It would be wrong to say which is the correct way, but as we invented..... hmmm..... everything (including America and the language you guys speak) I'm going to go out on a limb and say the English version is "correct"

*joke*

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am ok now if the autobox fails as I have just returned from the local liceincing office after changing the road fund tax band to Alternative fuel following the lpg conversion, I do not know wether to go out and party or save the rebate for a rainy day, anybody got any suggestions what I do with the £10 ( It cost me £4.80 for parking to get there)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
.....and a ‘tranny’ means something quite different on this side of the pond, so probably best not to use that expression either :)

Phil

P.S. Congratulations on your windfall, stagger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts