RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6L 2001 P38 4.6L on coils
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, 2001 4.6L. Front propshaft came adrift when the rear UJ failed, and whacked the side of the gearbox, bending the gearbox selector shaft up and damaging the xyz sender. Can I replace the shaft part via the sump, or should I just be looking for another gearbox? rgds Alan

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
For sure, the valve body would need removed, and I cannot see that being all. I'd say full strip down would be in order.

Martin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Would the valve block come out via the sump without dismantling anything else? Due to the cost, I wouldn't consider overhauling my autobox. If its any more than a simple replacement of a part I can obtain easily, I will just get another used box from a breaker and hope, which brings me to the next question. Will any year of gearbox do, or did they differ between GEMS and THOR. I'm hoping they were the same for 4.0 and 4.6 with just the ECU adjusting for the different power. It might even be feasible to swop the valve block from another box. Alan

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
4.6 ones are meant to be stronger. If you swap in a different transmission, be sure to get all the spacers etc that bolt to the crankshaft, they are different.

Martin

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
2.5 diesel and 4.0 litre petrol use the ZF 4HP22 gearbox whereas the 4.6 uses the ZF 4HP24 which is both stronger and slightly longer. There is no mention in RAVE of the gearbox being any different between GEMS and Thor engines. However, one difference is that later gearboxes have a level plug in the side of the sump while this isn't on the earlier ones, they have a dipstick instead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello folks, update on the autobox. Bought a used 4HP24 of unknown faults for £100, got the selector shaft out easy as just a roll pin to drive out (took the valve pack off just to see what was under), fitted it to my box without removing valve-pack. Had to cut a small hole in the footwell to get room to slide it in, blanking grommet afterwards to fill hole. XYZ position switch was the biggest problem, £50 for a used one, my later vehicle has a grey multiplug, which are less easy to find than the earlier black multiplug. If you are involved with the later grey switch, be advised that there are two types of XYZ with a grey plug, depending on whether a HP22 or HP24, I suspect. These XYZ switches have two mounting lugs on the alloy backplate, and on most switches they appear to be level, but on my switch and gearbox one lug is offset 6.4mm more than the other. This version seems to be fairly rare. Also needed a new front propshaft of course. One more bit of advice, when trying to align the gearshift linkage cable and selector shaft, the manual suggests doing this at "park". It is much more successful done at "neutral", as is aligning the XYZ without the factory tool. rgds Alan. PS sorry this is all in a block. Has anyone figured out why the "return key" doesn't work?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts