RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi wondering if anyone can help, recently got a 4.0 v8 p38 auto as a project, the main problem with it is that the gear changes are jerky and hesitant to Engadge into gears especially reverse slips in and out of reverse, if you give it a rev it Engadges into gear easier,

It has been sat for around a year prior to me getting

Any tips and advice would be great
Thanks in advanced

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
251 Posts
I would first take a look at the fluid condition and level. How many miles on it? Could be the reason why it sat around so long. Could just be due for a rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
Check the fluid level correctly, cold, engine running with gearbox in neutral after stepping through all the gears slowly. If it has been checked with the engine not running then the level will be extremely low as it drops once the fluid circulates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I’ll check that ? and approx 100k not sure if it’s ever been serviced etc also been recommended to change filter not sure if that would cause these problems

·
Registered
965 Posts
Clogged filter would show similar symptom. However, it's pretty rare that the filter gets so clogged and block fluid flow at your mileage. I agree with the others that the fluid level check was most likely not done correctly and is extremely low.

During trans fluid service, once you start the car and go through the gears, you can easily add about an additional quart of trans fluid in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts