RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance. I see the $40k difference in price, but from the outside look of it, they look very much the same to me. If I pick the HSE, upgrade the wheels, adds some options that the autobiography includes as standards, do I have pretty much the same car while saving $20k?

Thanks in advance for inputs and helping a newbie.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I’ve observed that certain Autobiography cars have a different type (softer or much higher quality) of interior leather and a larger variety of colors.

Also, more portions of the interior are likely to be covered in leather (side pillars, dash, etc) for a richer and more upscale luxury feeling inside that doesn’t convey in photos.

These are in addition to having more metal/aluminum pieces inside where you are likely to notice and touch (like AC knobs, gear changer, pedals), and more options (like interior fridge, etc).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciative, riozilla. So they look the same on the outside and same engine specs, just the interiors being dressed up with better leather, more leather, more metal. I think I'm good with my decision.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
In the USA the autobiography comes with pretty much all options whereas in other parts of the world they can be optioned differently. The interior is much nicer, the AB is also supercharged which is a big difference. I've got an AB and took off the bigger wheels though... they don't do well around Boston. I'm assuming you're from here too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Brad, yes I'm from Boston too. I'm actually going to upgrade the wheels from the standard 20" to 21" if I end up with HSE. I'm getting the p400E, so I'm not sure the "supercharged" feature is within the available options to pick from.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I think you can get the p400 in AB trim... It'll have things like the upgraded sound system, massaging seats, rear entertainment, leather headliner, stuff like that. If that isn't a priority no reason to spend the extra money.I had the 22's on mine, much happier with the 20's though I'll probably put the 22's back on it during the summer months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Brad, great inputs. With the p400e HSE decision, I'm probably looking into upgrading the electric panels in the garage. Not sure how folks are charging at home, just leave it at the standard 110v and accept overnight charging or spend money.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
oh local buddies. fx, if you go for the hybrid, definitely be aware of this:
"The following conditions may prevent the EV mode being enabled, or may prompt an engine restart if the EV mode is already active:
The ambient temperature is less than 25°F (-4°C)."

This is the reason I would not consider the current PHEV here where we live (I'm 40 miles north of you guys).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi totya,
Good to see more NE'ers driving in these boxy SUVs :)
I was made aware of this when you posted that. Good thing is, in my opinion, if EV mode can't be enabled, the normal gas engine will be used like a non-hybrid RR. The way I read it, at the time the vehicle is started in cold weather and EV mode is active, it'll just restart to switch over to pure gas engine. From viewing a few youtube videos, the switch is rather seamless. When the engine is warmed up after a while, EV mode can then be switched back on.

This is the second year of the RR plugin hybrid, so I hope they kill the reported bugs from the consumers.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
As long as you know what to expect, it's cool. I don't really see this temperature limitation mentioned anywhere, other than the owner's manual.
It's actually the 1st year they are delivering the hybrid in the country. Yes, it was announced in '18, then '19 and finally for model year 20. The first deliveries arrived in late November. Just check the PHEV delivery threads.
They're very new.

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes it’ll look the same but your HSE will be a turd in handling and acceleration compared to a real AB

also the HSE comes with Evoque size brake calipers unlike the Brembos on the 5.0

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
696 Posts
Honestly, I would go all out and get the SC 5.0 Autobiography if I could afford it. However, if you like the P400E then going with the HSE will save you money. I'm fortunate enough to own the NA 5.0 HSE and I love it. I actually prefer the NA 5.0 over the SC 5.0 for daily driving. I don't know why Land Rover stopped offering the NA 5.0 engine but I think they should have offered it in the Autobiography as well. I think the NA 5.0 will be less of a problem than the P400E or the SC 5.0 when it comes to maintenance cost over the years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks W84IT
The full story is, I went to the RR dealer back in 2017, ready to purchase one. At that time, I Googled and saw the news that the plugin hybrid was being tested, possibly out by 2018. I cancelled my order and waited. Well 2018 didn't happen, so I waited until 2019 and that didn't happen either, only to European countries. Finally 2020 is the year I'll get my hands on the P400E. I don't spend $110k on a car so save gas money, but I like the technology. I've been driving a Toyota hybrid for the last 10 years.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Honestly, I would go all out and get the SC 5.0 Autobiography if I could afford it. However, if you like the P400E then going with the HSE will save you money. I'm fortunate enough to own the NA 5.0 HSE and I love it. I actually prefer the NA 5.0 over the SC 5.0 for daily driving. I don't know why Land Rover stopped offering the NA 5.0 engine but I think they should have offered it in the Autobiography as well. I think the NA 5.0 will be less of a problem than the P400E or the SC 5.0 when it comes to maintenance cost over the years.
I don't think there is any difference in daily driving characteristics between the n/a 5.0 vs the supercharged unless you drive like a clown. It's only when you get into to boost or mash the gas there is any difference, braking too. Tho... I never buy these cars to race around in so all the power/braking upgrades on the AB/SC aren't really noticed. I'd have been just as happy with the performance of an HSE, I only bought the AB because of the trim lvl difference.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
696 Posts
I don't think there is any difference in daily driving characteristics between the n/a 5.0 vs the supercharged unless you drive like a clown. It's only when you get into to boost or mash the gas there is any difference, braking too. Tho... I never buy these cars to race around in so all the power/braking upgrades on the AB/SC aren't really noticed. I'd have been just as happy with the performance of an HSE, I only bought the AB because of the trim lvl difference.
I didn't say there was a difference in daily driving characteristics...I guess I should have been clearer in saying that the SC 5.0 is really not necessary. That's why I prefer the NA 5.0 over the SC 5.0 for daily driving because I definitely don't need that extra power. However, if you feel like you need that much power then go for it...especially if you're not concerned about saving money. Also, I totally agree with you on buying the Autobiography because of the trim level difference. Therefore, a NA 5.0 Autobiography would have been awesome in my opinion.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The NA feels much more robust compared to the 3.0. It also Gets excellent mpg which is awesome if that matters to you. I get about 12-15 mpg on the 5.0 SC. It’s a lot better than the 8 mpg I get on my G63. On the highway I can get around 25 mpg which is awesome.

Before buying a 5.0 I was convinced the 3.0
plenty. I had a Evoque too at the time and the 3.0 felt like a super car compared to the 2.0 turbo. BUT after driving a 5.0 it was over the 3.0 wasn’t even in the equation.

The brembo brakes and the handling benefits of the SC are just icing on the cake. With a tune you can unlock the full potential of the 5.0 and have a wolf in sheep’s clothing. But all that is not needed if you don’t care for the power or handling. An hse or a NA will get the job done just as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
HSE and AB are trim levels, and do not refer to a specific engine. All current 5.0s are supercharged, and as a name this is deprecated in favor of "P525" (or "P565" respectively) for the 2020s.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts