Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been waiting awhile to post about my 2013 HSE I took delivery of towards the end of May this year. Overall I like it, lots of compliments on the new style. Now time for my concerns.

Handling doesn’t seem to be as tight as my previous models (06, 08, 10). I do have the 22” wheels so it’s apparent the ride will be a bit rougher but it’s just not as tight on the road.

After about a month my instrument cluster went out. It had done this before a few times and after turning the engine off, locking doors, back in and starting, it came back on. However this last time it was out for good. I took it to the dealership on a Saturday; they looked at it and said they would need it for a few days. A few days turned into over three weeks (more or less). I figured once it was in I would present them with a list of other concerns I had. I’ll provide their response in parentheses. Note, the response isn’t word for word as I don’t have the ticket in front of me.

1. Tires, loud howling noise while traveling down the highway (Low profile tires are the cause, nothing can be done about this.)
  2. Brakes are squealing - They didn’t even address this, the service manager said I didn’t advise them of the problem
  3. Slow response on the entertainment center – I advised them that there is a very noticeable delay while toggling between options, a delay that didn’t exist on my previous models (Checked other vehicles, my vehicle performs just as the others do, no issue found)
  4. Edges of rear spoiler (where brake light is) is rubbing on the body, scratching the paint down to metal (Checked other vehicles, rear spoiler is not rubbing)
  5. Passenger side airbag light indicates “Passenger side Airbag Off” while an adult is sitting in the passenger seat (Could not duplicate the issue, no problem found)
  6. Driver side airbag light stays on (Replaced air bag)

Prior to leaving the RR, I provided the service manager with my insurance card needed for the loaner. He stated his copy machine was down and would have to make a copy later. I told him to place the original in the glove box of my RR when he had made the copy. Upon picking up the RR, the insurance card was not there. I asked the manager, reminding him of what I had asked him to do. His first response was that I did not leave the insurance card with him. When I reminded him about the copy machine being broken, his second response was that he did indeed place the card back in my glove box. When I told him I had checked and looked elsewhere in the vehicle, he came out to look himself. He said he doubted I left it with him but would go back into the shop and ask the guy who worked on the car if he had seen it. Of course he came back and said it was nowhere to be found and said “Are you sure you gave it to me?” My response was why was “your” story changing? First you say I did not leave it with you, and then you say you placed it back in my glove box, now you say I did not leave it with you. His attitude was so what, he could care less. I then had him make a copy of the copy he had made so I would have it traveling home in the event I was pulled over.

I asked him about the tires, he said all low profile tires do this, nothing can be done. I told him I have a 2013 Lamborghini and those tires aren’t nearly as loud as the ones on the RR are. Once again, he could have cared less.

I asked him why the brakes weren’t looked at. He stated I did not tell him. I asked him why they were squealing, a new car, less than 4k miles or so. He said it’s probably a “rock”, that it would go away. Well here we are approaching November and it hasn’t gone away.
I asked him about the slow response time while toggling within the entertainment center. He said mine was no different than the others. I attempted to stress to him that while that may be the case, Corporate needs to know about this as the new models have a delay while toggling back and forth compared to previous years models. I figured if enough customers complain, they (corporate) would do something about the software as it’s obvious it’s not performing as it should. Again, a care free attitude.

I asked him about the edges of the rear spoiler rubbing down to bare metal while in the closed position. He stated other vehicles did not do this and that “it’s just the way yours was built; we can do nothing about it.” This upset me because when I dropped off the RR that Saturday, there was another 2013 HSE in the parking area outside the service entry; it was doing the exact same thing. I brought the service manager over and showed him. When I mentioned this to him, he denied and said he didn’t remember seeing it. I said to him that this is going to depreciate my value. He said once again that he could do nothing about it.

I asked him about the passenger side airbag light, why it wasn’t fixed. He said he could not fix a problem if it wasn’t occurring. I asked him what the computer readout said, asked if it would indicate such faults existed at any given time. He said no, it would not. I stressed to him that I am concerned because I’m not sure if the light is a false positive or there is really an issue and I didn’t want to get into an accident with a passenger sitting there to find out. He said not to worry. I advised him in the survey that they would be held liable in the event an accident occurred and the airbag did not deploy properly.

Instrument cluster, I asked why it took so long to get fixed. He said they had to order a new one and it had been placed on back order. I asked why he wasn’t being pro-active and advising me of the status as I had to reach out to him for updates. Again, a care free attitude.

Later I did receive an online survey asking me of my experience. I went into great detail as I did here and submitted it. A lot of good that did because I received an email back from the same service manager thanking me for my comments, nothing more was said. Rather convenient that he’s able to monitor the same surveys meant to better the establishment by identifying issues the customer had experienced. No accountability at all. As a result after buying three RR’s from them since 2008, I will venture on into Dallas to the dealership there to make my next purchase. This guy is not customer friendly at all and in no way takes responsibility for his actions and not once but on two occasions practically called me a liar.

Oh and the insurance card. One day I was driving and lowered my visor to block the sun and there it was, falling to my lap. And he said I never gave it to him.

I would like to point out that Cody, my sales rep is an outstanding guy, he is in no way responsible for these incidents.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live 200 miles away so the DFW metroplex is the closest. There are three in the area, this one just happens to be the closest.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a long very good history with Land Rover Austin and they are affiliated with Land Rover Dallas so you might try them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Note sure if it helps much but:

1. The 22" tires do howl over concrete (not asphalt). It's noticeable in the NYC area over bridges and other concrete surfaces, but luckily the majority of the roads around here are asphalt so it's not too bad.
2. The infotainment system is crap. Much worse than my other cars, including Cayenne Turbo, Porsche 991 and BMW 535. It's not only slow and cumbersome, it's prone to freezing. Crap.
3. I've had problems including seat belts not retracting, soft close doors not closing, and brake error messages. Nothing unexpected given a first year model, but maybe a sign of poor R&D or shotty quality control. Body panels scratching other panels? That's just unacceptable. I'd let RR of NA know.
4. The brakes squeaking is annoying as hell and much louder outside of the car than inside. I heard my wife pull up and was surprised how loud it is. Turns out there is a recall for the front brakes, ask your advisor again. Ours are getting replaced soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note sure if it helps much but:

1. The 22" tires do howl over concrete (not asphalt). It's noticeable in the NYC area over bridges and other concrete surfaces, but luckily the majority of the roads around here are asphalt so it's not too bad.
2. The infotainment system is crap. Much worse than my other cars, including Cayenne Turbo, Porsche 991 and BMW 535. It's not only slow and cumbersome, it's prone to freezing. Crap.
3. I've had problems including seat belts not retracting, soft close doors not closing, and brake error messages. Nothing unexpected given a first year model, but maybe a sign of poor R&D or shotty quality control. Body panels scratching other panels? That's just unacceptable. I'd let RR of NA know.
4. The brakes squeaking is annoying as hell and much louder outside of the car than inside. I heard my wife pull up and was surprised how loud it is. Turns out there is a recall for the front brakes, ask your advisor again. Ours are getting replaced soon.
Interesting that there's a recall on the brakes and I (at least) haven't been advised. It's annoying and embarrassing, spending 100k+ on a car only to have the brakes do that. Heck, my ole GMC pickup doesn't even squeak.

I have the same issue with seat belts and as far as the tires, I'm told it's the type of tire. Who knows.

FYI... I lived in NYC for 15 years, still have my business there. You know about the potholes and damaging wheels. I have actually been successful in having the city pay for my damaged rims and wheels on three occasions over the years.

Also, I sent a copy of the initial post to the General Mgr, Service Director and my sales rep just to give them a heads up and not do anything behind their backs. So far I've only heard back from my sales rep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Autobahn stated that there are no bulletins for the brake recall.

·
Registered
306 Posts
RR has had a brake squealing issue for awhile. I had it on my 06 sport along with many other owners. You'd think they'd have this straightened out by now?!

·
Registered
385 Posts
This so called service manager needs to be fired. I would complain to the General Manager and Owner and never take my vehicle back there again. Further if it's in the shop for 30 days still waiting on the instrument cluster to arrive, lemon law the **** thing.
Bish

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This so called service manager needs to be fired. I would complain to the General Manager and Owner and never take my vehicle back there again. Further if it's in the shop for 30 days still waiting on the instrument cluster to arrive, lemon law the **** thing.
Bish
Interesting because at the time I could have sworn he was listed as the service manager. Now their website lists him as a service adviser.

I did email the service "director" and sales manager a copy of the post I made. Of course I haven't heard back from either one.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Man that is a nightmare. I know exactly the type of a'hole you're talking about. I get these types from time to time. My service guy at Cerritos is awesome. But years ago, I had a service manager at Irv Seaver BMW (Motorcycle) who would do exactly what you have said and even threaten me that if I didn't buy unneeded service he would make sure parts broke on my bike. Yes, he would literally say that. I complained until I was blue in the face and last year he finally got canned. Trouble was that he was servicing all the cops in the the neighborhood and they liked him so the owner kept it around ...

Anyway, I would set aside a few hours and talk to the best lemon-law guy in your area. And at the same time write a few more emails and make phone calls to LR corp and dealer relations ... This guy needs to be fired asap. I forget how lucky I am that we have 5+ dealers within 50 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Attached are pictures of the damage the rear spoiler is causing. Still no response from Autobahn management. If anyone could provide contact info on a source in corporate who will take notice of the matter, I would appreciate it.

Left Side Open Right Side Open Right Side Closed
Material property Technology Glass Automotive exterior Windshield Vehicle door Automotive exterior Windshield Bumper Vehicle Architecture Automotive exterior Material property Hood Glass

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Good grief, what have you been washing your rig with, a wire brush? Even the paint on my 84 isn't that badly scratched up.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Plastic or otherwise that is pretty scratched up for such a new rig.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
38 Posts
I would contact Land Rover corporate and voice your concerns. Your survey does go on to Land Rover and they do look at it. The service manager doesn't have any control over them, he can only look at them. I'd certainly try another dealer and bring up your concerns. Jaguar has had an update to greatly improve the screen response time. I would think that Land Rover would do the same but haven't heard. Hope you get some resolutions soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts