RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
770 Posts
I'm pretty sure the sensors in the mirror are for the auto high beam and the mirror dimming for night driving and the black bulb thingie on the dash is the auto headlight sensor
Didn't you read my post on the first page of this thread with the quote from the workshop manual explaining where the sensor is. The sensor on the dash is the one that varies the temp that you have set the climate control depending on outside environmental light conditions.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Lots of sensors, some confusion. The auto high beams sensor is really a low-rez camera mounted low on the plastic assembly behind the rear view mirror. It is an option, and wasn't even available on pre-2010 RRS, IIRC. Unlike the light / rain sensor sitting in a rectangular window a couple of inches above it, the auto high beam camera/sensor is not mounted flush against the windshield. The front-facing auto dimming mirror sensor is a small square window visible behind the mirror body, passenger side on LH drive vehicles (the rear-facing sensor is visible on the mirror surface, small round window in the upper center of the mirror.) As others have said, the dome sensor on the upper dash, located by the center channel speaker grille, is a solar position sensor for the climate control system.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
Didn't you read my post on the first page of this thread with the quote from the workshop manual explaining where the sensor is. The sensor on the dash is the one that varies the temp that you have set the climate control depending on outside environmental light conditions.
Nope, didn't read it. I just answered. I thought it was pretty straight forward and didn't imagine there would be a sensor that measures the intensity of the environmental light to adjust the climate control system... I'm actually quite impressed. I always thought those little black domes on the top of the dash were just for the auto headlights. Thanks Garry and Umberto for clearing that up.

·
Registered
770 Posts
As I understand it - when it is bright and sunny the body feels a bit warm even though the ambient temp hasn't change so to account for this physiological change the Climate Control cools the car a degree or two colder than the setting. Likewise when it becomes overcast and dull the body feels cooler even though the ambient temp is unchanged so the the Climate control in the car boosts temp by a degree or two over the set figure. This is all controlled by the little dome sensor on the dash.

The same applies with my central heating and cooling in my house - in summer when it is 40c outside and 22 inside I feel hot but in winter then it is -5c outside and 22 inside I still feel cold. Its a mind game thing.

I really don't know why LR bothered with such things as the inside temp of my RRS never gets anywhere near what I have the A/c set at unless I have been driving for over an hour or so.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
Yeah that's the theory. The sensor in the front is measuring ambient lighting and probably the green house effect inside the cabin when people are in the car. As a result you'd *think* that it will set the temp a few degrees cooler but my experience is that I have to set the temp between 17 and 18 Celsius on hot days so stay comfortable. Weird though.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts