RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know where the sensor is located on an 06 supercharged for the head lights? I want to permanently block it so that my lights come on and off as the jeep does.

Thank you

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi, do you mean the headlight on delay that keeps the lights on after you shut off the vehicle? If so I believe it is set using the "settings" options in your information center which you can see using the i button on the end of your signal arm and the left right arrows on the steering wheel.
I believe the headlight sensor just switches the headlights between daytime running lights and full headlights depending on ambient light levels.

Wayne

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thank you. Im actually referring to the sensor that activated turning on the light at night time when you have it set to auto, I want to block the sensor so that even when its light outside it will trick the sensor into thinking its night time and the lights remain on at all times without manually having to turn them on. Do you know what I mean?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, but I don't know where the sensor is. I have the daytime running lights option enabled (headlights always on when running even on auto setting during the day and flips to headlights and tail lights when dark enough automatically by the sensor).
The Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) are an option that can be turned on by your dealer in the software. They are mandatory in Canada so have always been on for me.

Wayne

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
It's not a question of which sensor, but where the correct sensor is. The "AUTO" / photoelectric sensor is the one needing a location to be posted. It has nothing to do with DRL settings, where you are located or timers. Further, DRL is not the same and will not give the same result as the original question that every one bypassed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was just asking which one it was trying to find out if it's the rain sensor stuck the window

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
The sensor is sandwiched between windshield and rear view mirror and does double duty as light (for the auto headlamps) and rain (for the rain sensing wipers) sensor.

·
Registered
766 Posts
From the Landrover RRS workshop manual:

The automatic headlamp function is a driver assistance system. The driver can override the system operation by selection of side lamp or headlamp on if the ambient light conditions require front and rear lighting to be active. The automatic headlamp system uses a light sensor and the CJB, which are connected via the LIN bus to control the headlamp functionality.

A light sensor is incorporated in the rain/light sensor located on the inside of the windshield, below the rear view mirror
. The wiper system also uses the rain/light sensor for automatic wiper operation. For additional information, refer to: Wipers and Washers (501-16 Wipers and Washers, Description and Operation). The light sensor measures the ambient light around the vehicle in a vertical direction and also the angular light level from the front of the vehicle. The rain/light sensor uses vehicle speed signals, wiper switch position and the park position of the front wipers to control the system.

The automatic headlamp operation uses ambient light levels which are monitored by photodiode incorporated in the rain/light sensor. The rain/light sensor sends a lights on/off request to the CJB on the LIN bus, which responds by switching on the low beam headlamps, front side lamps and rear tail lamps.

The automatic headlamps are activated under the following conditions:

· Twilight
· Darkness
· Rain
· Snow
· Tunnels
· Underground or
· multistoried car parks.

Operation of the automatic headlamps requires the ignition switch to be in position II, the lighting control switch to be in the 'AUTO' position and a lights on request signal from the light sensor. If the rain sensor signal activates the wipers fast speed wipers, the low beam headlamps are activated, providing the lighting control switch is in the 'AUTO' position.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover L322
9 Posts
Great!. How do someone customize the light sensor to come on when it is not too dark or raining. My RRS SC 2006 does not come on until it is almost dark. I see other vehicle's light come on when it is a slghtly cloudy day. How can I get mine to come on in a cloudy day? If it's factory set, can I use a tinted headlight film to cover the sensor to trick it into thinking it's dark? How can I access the sensor mounted inside the windshield?

I will appreciate an answer. Thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
This is making my brain hurt trying to figure out why you don't just turn your headlights to "ON"?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Brim, I see your point however I'm with BKG... I like the lights to be on all the time or at a minimum to come on in lower light as opposed to night time.

Not that I'm lazy but thanks to the auto manufacturers I have become used to not having to mess with certain tasks like turning the lights on or manually pairing my phone or turning the wipers on or pumping my breaks on ice.

On my 01 Sequoia I could leave the switch on and the lights would turn off once the follow me home period expired. Nice feature not having to mess with the lights.

BKG, there is no way that I have found to change the sensitivity. I have tried many things like small patch of window tint on the outside of the windshield over the sensor which worked for the most part but messed with the rain sensor and caused the headlights to cycle more than I liked on bright days with the occasional cloud. I opted to rig the driving (fog) lights to be on all the time.

'06 RRS LUX

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The lights can be set to day time running lights to be on all the time(either when in gear, or once the engine is running) However what MI2VA described is exactly the problem with 'tricking' the sensor. It's designed to turn on when it's dark, and there is a buffer built into it so that it isn't switching the lights on/off constantly when driving past trees or when it's a little cloudy.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Part of the issue is that LR not longer provides an option of a DRL setting for "HST", Head Side & Tail. DRL is great if you only want to blind the folks coming towards you or can con the dealership into setting DRL of dip instead of main beam. For those of us that like our rear illuminated while driving we really only have one choice, manually turn on the headlights and remember to turn them off with each and every trip.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover L322
9 Posts
Update:
I found what I was looking for. The light sensing unit is actually located behind the rear view mirror housing (the rotating part). There's a little opening exposing a sensing unit. I will experiment by covering with different shades of smoked or dark headlight film to see which gives me the best option. I had thought the rain and light sensor were all encased inside the plastic cover attached to the windshield. And was dreading prying the plastic encasement open fearing it might break or scratched. My auto light does not come on when it is dark for me. I appreciated your input. Thanks guys!

RRS SC.jpg

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
It's at the very front of the dash just under the leading edge of the windshield. It's a little black bulb looking thingie (technical term).

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
The one on the dash is the solar sensor for the HVAC isn;t it? The one at the mirror is for the auto dimming mirror... isn;t it? The mirror autodim requires two sensors, one front facing and one rear facing.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
I'm pretty sure the sensors in the mirror are for the auto high beam and the mirror dimming for night driving and the black bulb thingie on the dash is the auto headlight sensor

1 - 20 of 25 Posts