RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 2.5 DSE Auto.....

I am finding the Range Rover experience to be brief moments of joy followed by great financial expence!! Very pleased that I recalibrated my suspension by making up the nessesary blocks - I then took it out to tow a new toy home.

I am relatively new to Auto transmissions, and have never towed anything using an automatic gearbox prior to today, on the trip to pick up my toy the truck ran like a dream towing a realtively heavy trailer like it wasnt there at all, nice! on loading up the trailer the drive home was scary, initialy I thought the motor was low on power it didnt seem to be pulling that well on slight uphill gradients, low RPM's were Ok but hoofing it uphill caused the box to change down, as expected, but nothing much appeared to be happening and the truck slowly decelerated. I suspected a blocked fuel filter as I sometimes run dodgy diesel so pulled over and changed it out for a spare I always carry. Set off again but same problem -ok on level ground but on an incline if I floored the pedal and it kicked down the RPM hovered around the 3500 mark [ i think] but no 'power' from the engine. It has an inline chip, so I pulled over and took it out of the system thinking it might be causing a problem, it wasnt that either. loaded trailer weight would be about 1.5T so well within the RR placarded towing limits.

I drove gently home hiding behind the big rigs as an excuse not to overtake, keeping RPM's around 2000-2500 and being careful not to cause the transmission to kick down. When I unloaded and unhooked the trailer I gave the RR a thrash up the road and thought that it was reluctant/slow to change up. But I have to say it does seem Ok now.

What is the symptoms of a slipping clutch in the auto box?? Could it be that the 1st or 2nd gear clutch is slipping when the truck is hauling a load - how can I test for a slipping clutch? I put the truck into 1st 2nd and 3rd gears with the footbrake firmly pressed and briefly reved the engine - the engine/ gearbox response in all three gears was similar with no clear 'slippage' evident.

Is the Automatic gearchange signal an internal hydraulic thing or external electrical pressure/torque type sensor thing?

Any advice appreciated!..... well other than the obvious, dont tow anything heavy, or learn how to tow using an auto truck!

Gordon

·
Registered
151 Posts
What colour is your ATF . If it's brownish then slipping on the bands could be a problem. If it's orange change it, if it's red leave it.
It could just be your expectations of the 2.5 are a little to high as I have been told that some peeps have had to engage low range with caravans on the back to negotiate steep inclines. This was in the early days of the 2.5 though.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Diesel engine on the p38 is under powered
Dodgy diesel dont help either, for a change try some Shell V Power diesel for extra kick, it works.

Depending on mileage it could be turbo worn, old/blocked air filter
On the V* petrol there is a s port mode button, not sure if this is the case on diesel but selecting sport mode helps with towing

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, I have now given it a good thrash up the highway and found that the 'fault' reappears even without the trailer.

This is what happens:-

If I accelerate as hard as possible but without invoking kick-down all seems well. If I accelerate by flooring it and it kicks down then initial acceleration is as expected, but when the gearbox changes up a gear it all goes a bit quiet and the engine isnt producing any real power and the revs are hovering about the 3200-3500 and the box sort of makes a half heartead attempt to change up and down - I guess between second and third gear.

If I then pull my foot off the throttle completely the box will change up to third or fourth as it should and I can then accelerate up to full speed, if I dont push it into kickdown.

It appears that once the box has shifted to kick down, the engine does not subsequently respond to throttle position once the box comes out of kick down onto normal range???????? Whereas, if it does not kick down the engine will respond as it should all the way up through the gears :?

I was thinking a faulty MAF sensor but when I asked for a guide price at the dealer he could not find one for my chassis number and said that the early 2.5 DSE didnt have one - I need to look under the hood!

The airfilter, fuel filter, diesel quality is all good - Tesco's finest [this time]. It may well have been like this since I bought it and only noticed the fault when towing where a floored gas pedal is fairly routine?

Perhaps if I point my Shotgun at the Range Rover it might buck its ideas up a bit and start behaving like it oughta? :twisted:

[anyone got a more rational fault diagnosis idea ?]

Gordon

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
950 Posts
nj673 said:
Thanks Guys, I have now given it a good thrash up the highway and found that the 'fault' reappears even without the trailer.

This is what happens:-

If I accelerate as hard as possible but without invoking kick-down all seems well. If I accelerate by flooring it and it kicks down then initial acceleration is as expected, but when the gearbox changes up a gear it all goes a bit quiet and the engine isnt producing any real power and the revs are hovering about the 3200-3500 and the box sort of makes a half heartead attempt to change up and down - I guess between second and third gear.

If I then pull my foot off the throttle completely the box will change up to third or fourth as it should and I can then accelerate up to full speed, if I dont push it into kickdown.

It appears that once the box has shifted to kick down, the engine does not subsequently respond to throttle position once the box comes out of kick down onto normal range???????? Whereas, if it does not kick down the engine will respond as it should all the way up through the gears :?

I was thinking a faulty MAF sensor but when I asked for a guide price at the dealer he could not find one for my chassis number and said that the early 2.5 DSE didnt have one - I need to look under the hood!

The airfilter, fuel filter, diesel quality is all good - Tesco's finest [this time]. It may well have been like this since I bought it and only noticed the fault when towing where a floored gas pedal is fairly routine?

Perhaps if I point my Shotgun at the Range Rover it might buck its ideas up a bit and start behaving like it oughta? :twisted:

[anyone got a more rational fault diagnosis idea ?]

Gordon
Hi,

were u able to sort out the issue?

regds

kapila

1 - 7 of 7 Posts