RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Interesting calamity at work yesterday.... drainage guy in a van got stuck on boggy piece of grass, then a guy with a 110 and skinny tyres got stuck trying to pull him out... then I got stuck trying to pull out 110!!
Thankfully a discovery was to hand and pulled me out (thankfully not some jap crap), I was then able to pull out 110 from different angle... and the transit.
ANYWAY... question about the auto gearbox cause I don't have much experience. When pulling out the transit at last I was on hard packed gravel... after a few light snatches and wheelspin, and found it came out easy with just holding the strain and applying some nice throttle- just eased out.

So, the question- at last- is was the torque converter just taking up the strain? There was no wheelspin in the end, I was in high range reverse, the revs were going up but just pulling slowly out. So I presume the torque converter absorbed the difference and have I caused any damage putting that amount of strain and splippage through torque converter??

Seems to drive fine after, but just paranoid as everything else seems to be going wrong with it (heater o-rings, blend motors, leaking windscreen)!

Actually- just been out for quick drive and I did notice it drifted back on a hill incline... and I'm sure it never did that before. /:(

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
As you guessed, if the wheelspeed and the engine speed don't correspond (for the chosen gear), the torque converter takes up the differences, just like the driver would by letting a manual clutch slip.
The danger is you don't feel the strain the torqueconverter has to take, because it all happens very smootly (the main reason I prefer a manual wehn offroading). The slippage does induce a lot of heat (just like a slipping or burning clutch), so does cause wear. You can make the torqueconverter's life easier by using low gear, just like you would in a manual, thereby reducing the difference of engine and gearbox input shaft and thus the heat generated.
A lot of heavy haulage trucks also use a torqueconverter to be able to move huge loads, but often they have a dedicated oilcooler with a seperate fan just for the torqueconverter.

As for this particular case, I don't think you were at it long enough to cause damage. But I would avoid it in future if you can. And perhaps check the transmission oil or better yet, if it's been in there a while, just change it (and perhaps the filter too).

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for response... confirmed what I was afraid of.
Annoyed I didn't put it in low range- but had been trying to keep wheelspin to a minimum on the soft stuff by using high range.

Had the filter and oil changed 10k miles ago- but thinking I might do the oil again now if I've 'cooked' it a bit. Plus an oil change normally only changes 2/3rds of oil as rest sits in torque converter i think.

Just annoyed that it was drifting back on an incline this morning... I'm pretty sure it used to hold on tickover in gear.
But as you mentioned it wasn't a huge amount of abuse... probably only 30sec with the torque converter taking the strain.

THANKS
Nick

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
LRV8 said:
Thanks a lot for response... confirmed what I was afraid of.
Annoyed I didn't put it in low range- but had been trying to keep wheelspin to a minimum on the soft stuff by using high range.

Had the filter and oil changed 10k miles ago- but thinking I might do the oil again now if I've 'cooked' it a bit. Plus an oil change normally only changes 2/3rds of oil as rest sits in torque converter i think.

Just annoyed that it was drifting back on an incline this morning... I'm pretty sure it used to hold on tickover in gear.
But as you mentioned it wasn't a huge amount of abuse... probably only 30sec with the torque converter taking the strain.

THANKS
Nick
I wouldn't be too bothered about the possibility of increased slip on the incline this morning. Could be anything. :wink:
The fact the oil was reasonably fresh should also minimise the risk of overheating, but as you say, wont hurt to change it again.

Greetz,

Filip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts