RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and I looked at various sections in the manual and can't seem to find anything.

Is there a way to turn off the auto dimming on the rear view and side view mirrors?

Never was a fan as often times the mirror dims and you can't see the car behind you. Or barely see their lights.

Where is the sensor?

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
I read up on it in the workshop manual. No, there's no feature available to disable it. There's a sensor on the front of the mirror and another on the back of the mirror. When the light hitting the rear sensor exceeds that of the ambient light coming in to the front sensor, the electrochromic mechanism activates to start dimming.

The door mirrors are slaved off the rear view mirror.

The rear light sensor is behind the mirror glass, about dead center. Good luck manually obstructing it.

The RVM has a switched power supply from the Rear Junction Box (RJB
). You could look for that and remove it. That'll likely prevent other handy features from working though, like Homelink.

Guess you gotta live with it. Unless you want to swap it out for a "manual" dimming mirror from a different trim level.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you tried pulling the fuse for the dimming mirrors? Not sure what fuse is on the 2017's or if it carries several accessories on the circuit, but might be worth a look.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
****. Well at least rear view mirrors are not required and my door mirrors do not dim as much and are actually useful.

LOL. Homelink that is another animal that reared it head this week. Have lived in my "parking in my garage capable house" for almost 3 years and my last RRS could not program the door opener no matter what.

While programing my keypad for 1 of the doors I decided to add 2 more doors to my buttons on my mirror. While doing that, my already programmed button started to have 2 doors controlled. I couldn't just erase one so I had to reset the mirror. Now my 2 hand held door buttons and my mirror do not work and haven't been able to reprogram them. Sorry for the OT swing in this post. Maybe I need to pull the fuse for that also. For a bit.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Ahhhhm homelink can be a pain. Sadly you must press the 1 and 3 buttons and hold to clear the mirror before programming new items. You most likely have a little button on your opener that has to be depressed within 30 seconds of programming a new remote source.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a closer look at my RVM today in good lighting, and seems like the schematic in the workshop manual isn't precise on the location of the rear sensor. I can see mine, just barely through the mirror, about dead center horizontally but almost to the top vertically. It's just immediately inboard of the transition from plain mirror to electrochromic. Hope that makes sense.

In which case, you might be able to fit a little piece of black electrical tape that wouldn't look too bad (?) over it. Go have a look on a sunny day.

Yeah, Homelink requires a little song&dance. I got mine working though on a system with multiple remotes, 3 keys, and rolling codes. Like Toad said, basically. What helped me was digging out the service manual for the garage door opener itself and reading the procedures on programming remotes.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a closer look at my RVM today in good lighting, and seems like the schematic in the workshop manual isn't precise on the location of the rear sensor. I can see mine, just barely through the mirror, about dead center horizontally but almost to the top vertically. It's just immediately inboard of the transition from plain mirror to electrochromic. Hope that makes sense.

In which case, you might be able to fit a little piece of black electrical tape that wouldn't look too bad (?) over it. Go have a look on a sunny day.

Yeah, Homelink requires a little song&dance. I got mine working though on a system with multiple remotes, 3 keys, and rolling codes. Like Toad said, basically. What helped me was digging out the service manual for the garage door opener itself and reading the procedures on programming remotes.
Thanks.

We ended up finding the 3 button remote and I had to reprogram the button on that for my door. Of course it wasn't the door button for where the Defender stays parked for 6 months. Now I have all of my door programed in my truck. Now I just need to program my wife's but she doesn't use my door so I'll put that off.

Haven't had a chance to look more closely at the mirror as we swapped vehicles yesterday. Can't get fuel in mine for $ 2.60 a gallon since my grocery store only has 2 diesel locations which are not close to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts