RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm having some audio issues with an aftermarket KGL android 4.2.2 head unit on my 2004 Range Rover Vogue. It has a DSP Amp but the radio tuner and the GPS DVD reader in the rear were removed by the previous owner. In place of this, they butchered in the extension cable from the head unit to the rear and connected it to what appears to be the radio tuner wiring loom.

This was working until recently although only if the balance was shifted to the left speakers on the head unit and then the front speakers worked. Recently, this stopped working but I can get a low volume output if I hold down the right + key on the steering wheel.

Looking at the wiring, its done very poorly and they seem to have put the head unit output back into the main loom which would result in it going through the DSP Amp which I understand is not the thing to do. I plan to re-wire this at the weekend so that the output (which is coming out of an amp in the head unit) is direct into the speaker wires that attach to the DSP amp (i.e. bypass the amp).

Considering the symptoms, does anyone think that this would help? Could it be that the DSP amp has broken and pressing the button on the steering wheel is simply increasing voltage/lowering resistance so that the amp gets something through it? Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I were you, I would completely rewire the Audio system from scratch.

Using wiring that has been butchered usually shouts COWBOY and who knows what they have done with the loom.

Where in the East Mids are you? I might be able to give you some pointers. (York ish area)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A step further. I stripped the audio cables out of the butchered mess and connected them directly to the speaker cables coming from the DSP this evening and hey presto! sound was restored. I've temporarily connected it this evening to the proper wires and I now have 4 speakers working as they should. This weekend I'll get them fitted with proper connections.

The only issue I have now is that the buttons on the steering wheel no longer work (which they did previously when going through the DSP) which I am guessing might be related to a badly connected canbus module. Any tips on sorting that would be appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts