RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so check this out. If it's ok with Martin and Sersan, I would like to sell the Audi heater core kit on my website. my thoughts were $975.00 thats 400.00 each for Martin and Sersan! Then $175.00 for the kit, depending on the cost of the end plate I made.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I like it - One thing I'm noticing with the heater temp clip on the rubber hose is that I get the "Book Icon" on the dash much more often until the engine is warm enough that when I restart it, the temp sensor is up to temp.

Will there be a good way to show how to "trim" the inside of the heater box, which was the trickiest part I found.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Ok so check this out. If it's ok with Martin and Sersan, I would like to sell the Audi heater core kit on my website. my thoughts were $975.00 thats 400.00 each for Martin and Sersan! Then $175.00 for the kit, depending on the cost of the end plate I made.
Too funny....
That would be the same as the folks who offered donations for an LSx swap, actually coming through:lol:

Martin

·
Registered
213 Posts
bs6jYl.jpg

Flip the core. it works so much better. Goodluck with your marketing endeavor.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Flip the core?
That would have the hoses facing towards the passenger seat8-0=
Unless you unsoldered the original connections, then resoldered them, which would do wonders for the warranty. Not to mention the guys that use the plastic cores......

Martin

·
Registered
213 Posts
I unsoldered mine, turned the pipes and re-soldered. for the price I got there new core, it was worth the experimentation regardless of warranty status.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
For the price, worth a shot I guess.You could buy @10 for the price of 1 LR one after all...

Martin

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
82 Posts
Can anyone verify if this is the correct core? There are actually 2 cores available for a '96 A6 because of a VIN split. One is slightly larger than the other. This pic shows the most common one available..

Attachments

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
i got all my parts for $75. if you shop around you don't pay that much.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
i got all my parts for $75. if you shop around you don't pay that much.
I got mine for about the same on ebay.
One thing to note is that it might be advisable to put two jubilee clips per hose end instead of one as a few weeks
after mine was installed it started to leak with only one per end and since putting two its been perfect.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Can anyone verify if this is the correct core? There are actually 2 cores available for a '96 A6 because of a VIN split. One is slightly larger than the other. This pic shows the most common one available..
Part number 399910 for the ones I have used.
Metal or plastic, both work apparently.

Martin

·
Registered
159 Posts
the temp sensor is designed to work on a metal pipe. you've now fitted i to a rubber one, so its going to permanently under read because of the insulatingg effect of the rubber?

Regards
Paul C

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
the temp sensor is designed to work on a metal pipe. you've now fitted i to a rubber one, so its going to permanently under read because of the insulatingg effect of the rubber?

Regards
Paul C
Forgot when I did that Audi heater core, but have yet to get a fault on the HVAC regards that, or have any untoward problems with the heat or AC.

Martin

·
Registered
922 Posts
I notice the colour of the heater core in the top photo that it seems to be made of copper... is this correct or is the colour due to some other material? The reason I ask is that the red OAT coolant can react with copper to form a red sludge... hence aluminium/plastic in radiators etc.

Comments pls?

cheers

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Dam, you guys are making it too hard.

ITS a copper heater core.

• 1995 Audi A6 Avant Quatro 2.8 V6 $60 part numbers: 15-62511, 9910, 94652
  • 6' of 5/8" heater hose $6.00
  • Hose clamps x6 -$5.00
  • 3/4 x 5/8 hose adapters $5.00
$76

but if you can't figure it out. order it from Scotty. Might as well pay him if you can't figure it out.

Interchange Part Number:15-62511, 9910, 94652

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VistaPro-Proliance-399910-HEATER-CORE-/230701373870?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996|Make%3AAudi|Model%3AA6+Quattro|Submodel%3AAvant|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.8L&hash=item35b6df99ae&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
234 Posts
I notice the colour of the heater core in the top photo that it seems to be made of copper... is this correct or is the colour due to some other material? The reason I ask is that the red OAT coolant can react with copper to form a red sludge... hence aluminium/plastic in radiators etc.

Comments pls?

cheers[/QUOTE

You are dead right, OAT coolant is not compatible with the soldered joints on copper radiators and heater cores.

Found out the hard way back in 1996 when I thought I was being clever by using Dex Cool in an 70's GM muscle Car, had leaks appear in the radiator and the heater core after about a month.

Want to remind people considering using the chinese E bay Plastic heater core is that the end casing may split and cause a sudden massive leak.

It doesnt happen instantly, but after a number of cycles.

Better to go for the copper one and use ordinary green anti freeze IMO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dam, you guys are making it too hard.

ITS a copper heater core.
  • 1995 Audi A6 Avant Quatro 2.8 V6 $60 part numbers: 15-62511, 9910, 94652
  • 6' of 5/8" heater hose $6.00
  • Hose clamps x6 -$5.00
  • 3/4 x 5/8 hose adapters $5.00
$76
Exact parts list I used when changing mine. I did not run through the bulkhead with hoses deciding instead to cut down the aluminium tubes to the inside and using hose from the new core for 8" upto the tubes. This gave me a location to mount the temp sensor which I did after extending the two wires. Yea its was a bit of a faff with access as I just pulled the glove box out, but its about 6 months since the change and it continues to work without issue.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
39 Posts
Is anyone having an issue with there repair yet? I had the coolant smell, and then the Dexcool leaking in my Vehicle. My mechanic tells me I have had the Audi core installed, and whoever did it did not use good clamps, so I had him repair it. I still could smell the coolant smell, and three days later I have a massive leak in the truck.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Until you tear it apart and identify the issue we could only guess. The Audi retrofit is a completely sealed unit save for the two hose clamps. If the system is leaking you either have a failed clamp or a failed core.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts