RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leaking heater core or O-rings and instead of just doing the O-rings and possibly still having a leak from a cracked heater core I've decided to do the Audi core swap. Here are my questions:

Which core is better, plastic/ABS ends or copper ends? Or is this subjective and based on personal opinion?

I've heard that each are more durable than the other. I was leaning toward the plastic as I have read about pin hole leaks developing from the copper tubes being flexed during installation and compromising the solder, but I've also read about the plastic ones having catastrophic failure. Any opinions from "experts" in the radiator field?

Does anyone have the part numbers specifically for the plastic core? For the Copper core? or links to the correct one on Ebay? Or specifically what year and model of Audi to reference when ordering one.

Thanks ahead for the advice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just fitted the same one to my P38, never had so much heat. Bought mine direct from place in Poland inc. delivery was less than £13.00.
Remember to break out center plastic *ridges* where core fits in or you wont be able to push it right in. Hammer and 1"wood chisel soon sorts that out.
Best of luck on a pig of a job !! john

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
using a plastic on negates any advantages of swapping in an audi heater core. it'll just leak again like the OEM.

Buy the full copper unit and be done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Audi plastic heater core looks like it is better designed than the OEM rover core. I'm just concerned about the Soldering job having leaks. I may regret it, but I think I'm going to go with the plastic core.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
do what you want. plastic will just deteriorate and crack anyway. but who cares.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,423 Posts
I cannot see the point of fitting an Audi heater core.
My O rings needed replacing after lasting 8 or 10 years. Took about 4 hours after doing the duct mods. The next time they need doing it will take me maybe 1 hour max?
I also don't fancy jubilee clips holding back scalding hot water behind the dash.

·
Registered
1998 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
I would not use a plastic replacement, I don't see any point to that either. I used a Spectra 94652 Heater Core, seems well made, all metal, does not leak. They sell them at autozone, amazon and many other places.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
my o rings leaked again after 2 years of being replaced. really stupid design, and getting that stupid screw unbolted was a pain.

now, i'll never have to replace that crap again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
installed the full copper audi heater core/matrix about 2 months ago thanks to all the great information on this website. I couldn't be happier. Got rid of that lousey o-ring/ plastic end cap design and works like a champ. No more issues! Highly recommend it.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Thank goodness for these old threads. After a few failed attempts to replace the o-rings I went for the Audi heater core. The upgrade works great. Don't waste your time trying to stick with the OEM setup. Go straight for the upgrade!

·
Registered
417 Posts
What happens is after time the clamp gets worn out and orings leak prematurely. I found out by snagging the pipes and clamp from my donor before I sold it. When I compared I could see the metal clamp bends a bit and not clamping as well. Newer (100000mile) pieces have not leaked and looked more locked in. Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts