RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
looks good! wounder how long it will last? did you use any special paint? did you think about using the stainless steel handle covers off of ebay?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mattdh said:
looks good! wounder how long it will last? did you use any special paint? did you think about using the stainless steel handle covers off of ebay?
It should last a really long time... I sanded off all the stock paint, cleaned it with acetone, primed it, then hit it with color.

just used dupli-color spray paint

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nice job man. I think ill try that myself this summer. Any specific primer?? Grit of paper? And what is that spray you speak of? I don't know anything about painting.... Did it turn out looking stock? Looks good from my blackberry anyways!

P.s. Any chance you gonna pull your seat anytime soon?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gw2doc said:
Nice job man. I think ill try that myself this summer. Any specific primer?? Grit of paper? And what is that spray you speak of? I don't know anything about painting.... Did it turn out looking stock? Looks good from my blackberry anyways!

P.s. Any chance you gonna pull your seat anytime soon?

They're a little darker, but by choice...

Here is the complete process..

1.) mask off
2.) 300 grit sand paper until all paint is removed
3.) 600 grit until surface is uniform
4.) clean with acetone
5.) Dupli-color spray primer (small dusting of primer to prep the surface wait 1 min then about 8" away spray the handle down with smooth motions. Don't go to slow otherwise you'll get paint dripping) wait 10 min
6.) dupli color graphite spray paint (from 8" away coat the handle, then let set for 5 min)
7.) add a thicker layer of paint this time, when done wait 20 min
8.) another thick layer... let dry

I will prob pull the seat the next 50+ degree day

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awesome job!! I thought I was the only one who actually color coded my door handles while they were on the truck :lol: I hear so many people going through so much trouble to take them off, but if you tape them off and protect the rest of the body with something (newspaper like you did), and be REALLY careful, it comes out great. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
youngbro401 said:
Awesome job!! I thought I was the only one who actually color coded my door handles while they were on the truck :lol: I hear so many people going through so much trouble to take them off, but if you tape them off and protect the rest of the body with something (newspaper like you did), and be REALLY careful, it comes out great. Thanks for sharing.
Great minds think alike! :D

I actually have the replacement door handles and was planning on fitting them today, but then realized I'd be sitting there for the better part of the day pulling the car apart to install them... Plus they'd probably flake again down the road. That realized I opted to paint them, I happy with how they came out

·
Registered
86 Posts
An additional step you might consider taking is to wet sand the coat of paint you have on there now and spray 1-2 coats of some clear spray paint over it. This will protect the color coat and provide a more glossy finish. (Completely up to you though)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
youngbro401 said:
An additional step you might consider taking is to wet sand the coat of paint you have on there now and spray 1-2 coats of some clear spray paint over it. This will protect the color coat and provide a more glossy finish. (Completely up to you though)
After it fully cures I may do that, good suggestion thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
looks great :thumb:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
560 Posts
Your handles looks great and I am sure that was a lot easier than replacing them.

I actually replaced my handles from rover connection over 2.5yrs ago and they still look like the day I bought them. I think they improved on the handles so they don't flake anymore.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Looks great, Brad!
How were you able to paint the backside of the handles; the sides towards the body and the handles?

I also need to paint the vent cover on the hood and maybe my grill too.

Please let us know how it wears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts