RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please let me know if the 3 month subscription runs on an internal sim or was I supposed to get one from the dealer to put in the center console. Thank you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
You should have received a SIM from your dealer. Mine installed it for me actually and even had the service activated. Ive been testing mine out for additional connection support for my phone and my radar detector (cloud based location alerts from other radar users). So I've been quite keen on using the service....and the connected navigation features.

However - I was quite confused to see only having a 3G connection instead of a 4G LTE connection. The speed test indicates that it is running on 3G also. Everything in the manuals and marketing material indicates its 4G connection and there was a huge press release last year about the multi-year agreement for 4G service to 2018 MY Land Rover Jaguar vehicles. So - I called AT&T, they passed me around a bit and never got a straight answer; they told me to call Land Rover. One AT&T rep told me that I had to add it to my usual AT&T Wireless account before I would be given 4G service; I don't buy this at all as its usually the radio modem in the vehicle that determines the speed, not the service provider.

So I called my sales guy and asked. He inquired with his tech and was told that the 4G service has not been rolled out to the 2018s yet. I was slightly surprised by this. I asked if there was a time frame for rollout and if that would be retrofitted to existing customers? Of course, the techs have no details.

I'm curious if anyone else has 4G service on their 2018s??

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
911 Posts
You should have received a SIM from your dealer. Mine installed it for me actually and even had the service activated. Ive been testing mine out for additional connection support for my phone and my radar detector (cloud based location alerts from other radar users). So I've been quite keen on using the service....and the connected navigation features.

However - I was quite confused to see only having a 3G connection instead of a 4G LTE connection. The speed test indicates that it is running on 3G also. Everything in the manuals and marketing material indicates its 4G connection and there was a huge press release last year about the multi-year agreement for 4G service to 2018 MY Land Rover Jaguar vehicles. So - I called AT&T, they passed me around a bit and never got a straight answer; they told me to call Land Rover. One AT&T rep told me that I had to add it to my usual AT&T Wireless account before I would be given 4G service; I don't buy this at all as its usually the radio modem in the vehicle that determines the speed, not the service provider.

So I called my sales guy and asked. He inquired with his tech and was told that the 4G service has not been rolled out to the 2018s yet. I was slightly surprised by this. I asked if there was a time frame for rollout and if that would be retrofitted to existing customers? Of course, the techs have no details.

I don't have 4G in my 2017

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Is there a SIM card in your arm rest console slot?

·
Registered
59 Posts
4G was not available on 2017s. It was to debuted on the 2018s.

Yes I have a SIM card in my armrest slot. I've pulled it out and looked at it but there are no markings on it to indicate whether it is a 3G or 4G SIM card.

Glad I'm not the only one (thanks wagsoja).

Is anyone getting 4G service?

·
Registered
54 Posts
AT&T will sell data 4G sims for cars. Wonder if we would get 4G with one of those? They offer unlimited data too for $20a month in the U.S.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My car came with SIM card installed. 3g only. It wouldn’t work initially after I set up the incontrol. I had to call att and have them fix my account. Took two weeks but they stayed in touch and fixed it. Now I can connect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the sim that came with my 2018 and installed a generic T-Mobile SIM card with a data plan, it now correctly display 4G and works well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I replaced the sim that came with my 2018 and installed a generic T-Mobile SIM card with a data plan, it now correctly display 4G and works well.
JaRod1 - thats great to hear. That seems to indicate that the 4G service modem is already installed in the vehicle. Seems that the AT&T SIM cards installed at the dealer are the issue. I'm going to see if I can get a new AT&T SIM card installed to fix the issue! Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Has anyone been able to add their vehicle to a business account or are they only allowing consumer or prepaid accounts to be used?

I guess my 3 months is up (3 days early :) )

I was prompted on my phone to set up an account and I waited to call using my business accounts. They say only OnStar vehicles are able to be added to business accounts.

Which is kind of stupid. Extra paper work on my end if I have to set up another account.

Also has a verizon sim card worked for anyone?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am also curious if anyone has activated a Verizon 4G SIM card. The Dealer told me that Verizon cards will work. Anyone try one yet and have any luck in a 2018?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also curious about Verizon. My AT&T SIM card is acting up, and I have an unlimited data plan with my Verizon account. Seems that it would be much easier to connect the RRS to my cellphone's hotspot to get 4G/LTE speeds... why pay for an additional AT&T account?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Talked to the person that configures the connected car at my dealer and he didn’t think the Verizon SIM card would work. He has yet to try on in a MY2018 but offered to do so if I get the card. I did call Verizon as well and gave them the IMEI from my vehicle and they didn’t think it would work on their network. So I may look into T Mobile if the cost is reasonable.

T Mo and ATTboth run similar network configurations, so I can see why that would make sense. Not sure how good T Mo coverage is relative to ATT though.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Talked to the person that configures the connected car at my dealer and he didn’t think the Verizon SIM card would work. He has yet to try on in a MY2018 but offered to do so if I get the card. I did call Verizon as well and gave them the IMEI from my vehicle and they didn’t think it would work on their network. So I may look into T Mobile if the cost is reasonable.

T Mo and ATTboth run similar network configurations, so I can see why that would make sense. Not sure how good T Mo coverage is relative to ATT though.
I doubt it would work also.

AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM. Global Standard
Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. Almost entirely used in the US but I think there are some outline places around the globe that could use it.

With those different chips a Verizon phone could work on a GSM carrier since inorder for those phones to work in say Europe a phone would essentially need both GSM and CDMA capability. And Apple for instance would build the phone that way.

With AT&T Apple for example may decide to only build the phone with GSM compatibility to say some money.

With our vehicles LR probably doesn't see a need to put a dual GSM/CDMA board in the vehicle.

The truck also uses a micro sim card so I haven't tried putting my AT&T or Verizon sim cards in because they are all nano sim and if one were to loose a card while using an adapter if might be near impossible to retrieve it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Installed a T-mobile SIM today and 4G service popped up in about a minute. Getting great reception and speeds of 20MB down and up. I decided to go for a no contract $10/month unlimited data-only plan until ATT and JLR get it together and make this activation process easier and not just for 3G. Plus, binge watching and listening to music do not count towards your data plan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Installed a T-mobile SIM today and 4G service popped up in about a minute. Getting great reception and speeds of 20MB down and up. I decided to go for a no contract $10/month unlimited data-only plan until ATT and JLR get it together and make this activation process easier and not just for 3G. Plus, binge watching and listening to music do not count towards your data plan.
Does the Land Rover Remote app still work? Remote start, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does the Land Rover Remote app still work? Remote start, etc?
Yes, the app seems to work as I can see car status, location, journeys, etc. I haven’t tried remote start but I would assume that it works given I can tell everything else about the vehicle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fully tested the Land Rover app with the T-Mobile SIM - all functions work properly including start, stop, unlock, vehicle status and journeys and there are no delays.

I finally got the AT&T SIM card to work after having the dealer re-register the ICCID in their system and a few calls to AT&T and an escalation to tier 2 tech support. The service works, although it is 3G, takes longer for the vehicle to connect, and has a much slower download and upload. They do have an unlimited plan for $20/month that throttles speed after 22 GB, but it is 3G only.

I most likely will keep the T-Mobile 4G 2GB unlimited plan that I got for $10/month. Based on how much data the RRS infotainment system is pulling down on each drive (~2-3MB), it is very unlikely that I will exceed the cap unless I use the SVR as a hotspot for my tablet or radar detector. Plus, you can’t beat that price as it includes rollover 4G data for unused bytes, and zero-rated data usage for video and music streaming on key services like Spotify and Netflix, so they don’t count against your data cap.

Now I have to deal with a third bill as I have AT&T for cellphone, Verizon for MiFi hotspot and T-Mo for connected car. That said, I think the T-Mo value is better versus AT&T service, at least in its current state.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fully tested the Land Rover app with the T-Mobile SIM - all functions work properly including start, stop, unlock, vehicle status and journeys and there are no delays.

I finally got the AT&T SIM card to work after having the dealer re-register the ICCID in their system and a few calls to AT&T and an escalation to tier 2 tech support. The service works, although it is 3G, takes longer for the vehicle to connect, and has a much slower download and upload. They do have an unlimited plan for $20/month that throttles speed after 22 GB, but it is 3G only.

I most likely will keep the T-Mobile 4G 2GB unlimited plan that I got for $10/month. Based on how much data the RRS infotainment system is pulling down on each drive (~2-3MB), it is very unlikely that I will exceed the cap unless I use the SVR as a hotspot for my tablet or radar detector. Plus, you can’t beat that price as it includes rollover 4G data for unused bytes, and zero-rated data usage for video and music streaming on key services like Spotify and Netflix, so they don’t count against your data cap.

Now I have to deal with a third bill as I have AT&T for cellphone, Verizon for MiFi hotspot and T-Mo for connected car. That said, I think the T-Mo value is better versus AT&T service, at least in its current state.
Thanks for checking all that out. I have working 3G right now with AT&T and the dealer supplied sim, but I’m going to follow your lead and look into a T-Mobile data sim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 63 Posts