RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased this kit on sale at AtlanticB right now for $ 350?

Ferodo pads, sensors and "Brake Engineering" rotors ...

I am due for a rotor change and was wondering if there were any con's to using these as opposed to the genuine stuff..

On a side note: I can get genuine OEM headlight bulbs from a local dealer out here for only $ 375.00 each with my exclusive 5% discount. If interested PM me as they will go quick. If you don't think this is a smoking deal just search the forum... `)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Bf,
Not so sure about those rotors, they might be plain 'ol cast iron. If they were as easy to change as the pads, I'd say give it a try at that price, but I'd hate to have to go back and replace them if they warp. If anyone here has used them...

Call AB and see if they'd substitute the OE rotors and let you pay the difference. I'm also assuming the Ferodo pads they are showing on the $350 kit are the OE one's. If they let you do that, its a good deal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did speak to AB..
They said they have been using Brake Engineering brand rotors for years... not alot about them on the web.

Bueller, Bueller, Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
beachfront said:
Has anyone purchased this kit on sale at AtlanticB right now for $ 350?

Ferodo pads, sensors and "Brake Engineering" rotors ...

I am due for a rotor change and was wondering if there were any con's to using these as opposed to the genuine stuff..

On a side note: I can get genuine OEM headlight bulbs from a local dealer out here for only $ 375.00 each with my exclusive 5% discount. If interested PM me as they will go quick. If you don't think this is a smoking deal just search the forum... `)
Are you talking about just the bulbs in that deal? Bputah.com has Genuine LR (XBI000030W) D2S by Sylvannia for $125/each....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes .. just the bulbs .. $ 750 for the pair and they are yours ..

GooseyLoosey knows a good deal when he see's one .. he has already bought 4 of them in various k levels to account for the lack of sun in the NJ area ...

The bulbs part is actually a bad joke stemming from my dealer offering me a discounted price of $ 900 to change the 2 main bulbs in my headlights which I ended up doing for $ 60 bucks via ebay.. I cant get over the fact that somewhere, someone might have actually paid that amount..

Back to the brakes ..

Someone here has had to have ordered these ... let us know...

·
Registered
213 Posts
beachfront said:
Yes .. just the bulbs .. $ 750 for the pair and they are yours ..

GooseyLoosey knows a good deal when he see's one .. he has already bought 4 of them in various k levels to account for the lack of sun in the NJ area ...

The bulbs part is actually a bad joke stemming from my dealer offering me a discounted price of $ 900 to change the 2 main bulbs in my headlights which I ended up doing for $ 60 bucks via ebay.. I cant get over the fact that somewhere, someone might have actually paid that amount..

Back to the brakes ..

Someone here has had to have ordered these ... let us know...
Ahh LOL I knew something wasn't right there. DS2s are cheap. But I agree... Plenty of people get taken for a ride by the dealer. Mine tried to sell me $5,000 (without tires) "limited edition" 22" stormer wheels that I "wouldn't find anywhere else". I showed them eBay. ;)

About the brakes.. The fedoro kit is pretty much OEM right? I'm seriously thinking about getting the ferodo pads for my sc. Considering they supply the rears for mine and the fronts for the hse, don't think they will make a crappy replacement for the Brembos.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not that worried about the pads, its the rotors in this package..

they are made by Brake Engineering" out of England..

Im prob going to purchase this kit regardless but was hoping there would be some feedback ..

I will report back once done.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
I got the textar front & rear special from AB and put them on my (actually now the GF's) sport.
1000miles later- smooth, quiet, and saved me a **** load.

suerte y paz

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can help with this one. I bought this kit about a month ago and had it installed. The shop called me after the test drive and said all of the rotors were warped. I called AB and they sent new OE front rotors, they would not send new rears. I paid to have the warped fronts taken off and the new ones put on. Rides great now, but the rear rotors are already starting to show some rust, and I will probably replace the rear with new OE ones. I would not go with the rotors in that kit. Make sure you pay the difference for the OE rotors.

DB

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Hmmmm, I need to order some new brakes and that's a bummer to hear the aftermarket rotors weren't up to snuff. Is it REALLY that bad to replace just the pads? Has anyone tried it?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Drevs said:
Hmmmm, I need to order some new brakes and that's a bummer to hear the aftermarket rotors weren't up to snuff. Is it REALLY that bad to replace just the pads? Has anyone tried it?
The LR spec on the HSE brakes is 27mm for the front--Im guessing the SC is the same. The new ones come in at 30mm, so that leaves you with 3mm to grind away. When I tested mine after 33K I was just a bit over the halfway mark on mine, using the stock Ferodo pads. I think the only ill effects of going a mm or so below the 27mm, could be increased tendency to warp. If you're more than 28.5, you can keep the old rotors on no problem...as long as they aren't deeply scored or something...just buff them a bit with some steel wool.

My suggestion would be if you are at something like 28mm, and you are having a shop replace the pads is to go ahead and have them do the rotors as well-- you're paying for lift time anyway.

If you're below 28mm and doing it yourself, you could try leaving them... on and if you get warping 10K down the road, pull them off.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Drevs said:
I did just the pads at ~40k. The dealer was actually going to do the same. They say that LR says to "use 'em till they're done" - no turning them or anything. It's looking on average like you can get almost 2 rounds of pads on one disc (per goosey's math, my dealer's measurement, etc.). S/C could be a different ballgame though?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Drevs said:
TripleE said:
S/C could be a different ballgame though?
Soon we'll find out! I'll get some pads ordered and see how it goes.
Thanks for the info guys.
:think: Hey, if you have the patience and want to take a few pictures of the procedure on the Brembo brakes, perhaps we can add it to the DIY.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Good call, will do. I just ordered the cheapest pads I could find ($120 F&R), so I'll be the guinea pig for the 'value oriented' crowd. `)

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Well you can bet that my pictures won't have any of that fancypants blue moon in it. PBR, all the way. Or maybe some moonshine? Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Drevs said:
Well you can bet that my pictures won't have any of that fancypants blue moon in it. PBR, all the way. Or maybe some moonshine? Hmmm....
Discount pads from overstock.com, PBR, and ordnance.

Let's hope this goes well.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
There you go Drevs...save money on the brake pads, put the rest towards a few hand grenades!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Gotta save money for a new house. You know those expensive brake pads might bump me into a cheaper neighborhood 'on the other side of the tracks'. :D
Went shooting today in that same spot (when you were out here). No pics, but I assure you it was good times... Got to run some 00Buck through my new SBS. :dance:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts