RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stumbled upon this at Atlantic British and recall that, since I have a 2003, the other Arnott system does NOT have a way to defeat the error message. However, it looks like Atlantic British does which is a HUGE selling point for me.

Anybody install the Atl Brit one yet?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/L322SRK_C.cfm

Cheers!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: Atl British - Air Suspension To Coil Spring Conversion Kit

Please dont.

·
Registered
952 Posts

The amount you save by not repairing the air suspension will be lost in decimated resale value. Just pointing that out. If you really want springs go for it, just keep in mind it's not saving you any $.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I haven't installed it, but I have spoken to a couple of people who have and they are happy. Sadly, it's not "heavy duty" enough for my application - although I am on the wait list to check out their new "off road" suspension they will be coming out with.

And don't let the haters dissuade you from doing your own research and making up your own mind. If you lose an airbag out in the Mojave Desert and have to ride the bump stops, you will be looking at alternatives. Right now, my alternative is to bring an extra rear airbag, but the front ones would be tough to replace on the trail somewhere. Springs will be more reliable in the long run.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I would imagine driving on a broken spring would not be much fun either, although perhaps it would work better than a ripped bag. It isn't terribly difficult to replace the air suspension, though you would need to have replacements/tools handy (on a serious off road expedition you should carry spare parts/tools anyway). For many minor faults, you can just reset and keep driving (but repair any issues ASAP to avoid burning out the compressor, etc).

·
Registered
137 Posts

I have the coil conversion kit on my RR. I actually feel that the ride quality has increased since I did the conversion. It was a fraction of the cost it would have been to replace the airbags that went bad at the same time. Since I got my RR I had nothing but problems with the air suspension. Since I did the conversion I have literally slept better at night knowing that I'm not going to have issues with that part of my RR. I do still take it off-road occasionally and it does fine. It doesn't have the same clearance it did when I set the suspension to off-road mode... but I've been wanting to give it a permanent lift for a long time anyway. That's next on my list of projects to do: a 4 inch suspension lift.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I carry a full complement of tools, along with replacement parts and feel confident that should it be a simple fix (replacing a bag, or height sensor) I could accomplish the task on the trail easily.

I carry rear air bags and 4 height sensors along with an assortment of air lines and fittings.

I don't carry a spare compressor, nor front struts (left and right are different, so you need to carry both). So if something that I don't carry fails, I'm stuck.

I haven't seen a coil spring failure in my 24 years of off roading, have you? I've personally experienced a front strut failure (replaced both to be safe) and a rear air spring failure (again, replaced both) in my 2 years of off roading this Range Rover. I believe, based on my experience, that if you off road these vehicles, it's not a question of if, but when will you have issues with the air suspension. I'm as prepared as I desire to be - but I still think a proper, heavy duty coil spring based suspension, with proper computer hardware/software to leave in place the ABS, Traction control and HDC would be more reliable than stock.

That's my $.02.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Out of curiousity, what failed on the rear airbag? And what caused it to fail, what were you doing?

·
Registered
148 Posts

Pval said:
Out of curiousity, what failed on the rear airbag? And what caused it to fail, what were you doing?
The airbag came apart. It's composed of 5 pieces, top mount (plastic), airbag (rubber), bottom mount (plastic) and two metal bands that hold the rubber airbag (which is really a tube or sleeve) to the top and bottom mounts.

What I believe happened is that I came over a bump (while going about 10 mpg) and the rear compressed and bottomed out the airbag and it literally exploded. The bands were no longer able to hold the airbag onto the upper and lower mounts and they came off. I was off roading with a bunch of other Range Rovers. The sad part is that the bump didn't feel too hard, but I carry a lot of weight in my rover and the rear just couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts

I did the same thing to my 03 RR. How did you clear the codes, air susp inactive, HDC inactive etc?

·
Registered
31 Posts

Strutmasters has a module that plugs into the back of the clock that clears all the codes. I just put on a spring coil suspension with a 2'' lift. I love it.
I did the same thing to my 03 RR. How did you clear the codes, air susp inactive, HDC inactive etc?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

There are various diagnostic and dedicated even purpose reset tools just for EAS which don't cost much.

EDIT: on second read, looks like i misinterpreted the question, sounds like perhaps you installed springs and want the errors to go away.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I haven't seen a coil spring failure in my 24 years of off roading, have you?
I've heard of several coil spring failures (have met a lot of Jeep owners).

On the road coil springs experience long term constant low amplitude vibrations. Off road the vibrations are slower and much greater amplitude. Deep compression stresses the whole spring infrequently but driving on road especially long smooth rides on the highway leads to the softer parts near the ends being stressed very frequently leading to metal fatigue and more rapid failure especially with stiff heavy duty springs (because they would concentrate road vibrations even more to a very small portion of the coil). That is why most vehicles come with such soft OEM springs.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts

Over the years I have witnessed two and experienced one first hand. It's really spectacular when someone is doing a slow technical maneuver and watching a coil take a lateral excursion through tire and rim. Add to that at least a half dozen coils coming unseated on extreme articulation ands I see little benefit of coils over EAS since I haven't had an EAS failure in over 180K miles of travels in my rigs.

·
Registered
521 Posts

I would think that true offroad performance would suffer going to coils on the L322, as you would loose the solid axle simulation that the airsprings provide on the L322.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts

I would think that true offroad performance would suffer going to coils on the L322, as you would loose the solid axle simulation that the airsprings provide on the L322.
While cross-linking certainly does help off road performance, there are situations (or uses) that can potentially warrant a coil conversion. There was a member here several years ago who used his P38 for dune jumping in Dubai and forever had EAS problems before swapping to coils...

I too off road my RR quite a bit. I have never had an airbag fail off road when all components were in good order. I have popped an airbag off the pistons (also on my P38) but the airbag was quite old and especially the P38 airbags are known for doing this when they get older. I'd love to know how old the airspring on Jon's (jdholder) RR was when it came apart. IMO, if you travel away from civilization in an airsprung LR, you need to change the airsprings if they are more than 5 years old. They are not lifetime items. If they are in good shape, I believe the EAS is only marginally more prone to failure than coils.

Strutmasters has a module that plugs into the back of the clock that clears all the codes. I just put on a spring coil suspension with a 2'' lift. I love it.
Guess where Strutmasters gets their little module... :razz:

·
Registered
5 Posts

I used the Air to Coil conversion about two years ago, and although I did not have the worry of failed air bags, the ride was not as good as Air. Now that air springs are very reasonably priced, I have gone back to Air and really appreciate the ride. the DSW software that is available makes going back to air a snap...it runs on your Windows Intel Laptop and is also very well priced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts