RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the story, have just had all the rocker arms, timing chain, cam followers, camshaft machined, all to get rid of the damned ticking that has plagued my poor rover for months. But now the ticking is back and worse than before the work was done. I don't know what the issue could be, and now the check engine light is on, getting a warning message that the brake fluid is low (it's not as I checked and it is full), and getting error codes P1316, P0300 and P0305, any ideas? Would be much appreciated, and I've read threads on this site so am trusting that there's someone on here who can help me out. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know all of our trucks are slightly different, but my truck responds very well to an hour on the highway running speeds over 120km/hr. My truck will tick quite loudly and following a run like this, my engine is quiet for sometimes up to a month at a time. If I stay closer to 100-110km/hr it won't change a thing. Strange I know, but I've duplicated this situation over and over.

·
Registered
1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried that, but the ticking gets louder and faster the higher the RPMs, I've tried all sorts of tricks to stop the ticking but alas to no avail.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
P1316 is persistent misfire, P0300 is multiple misfires and P0305 is misfire cylinder 5 so none would seem related to a ticking noise. Low brake fluid when it isn't low suggests the sensor is open circuit so you may have a corroded connector, possible one of the two under the coolant header tank as the wiring to the sensor goes via that one. When you say you've had the work done, what exactly has been done? Have the parts been replaced with new? What year is the car? There is a TSB regarding ticking due to faulty rockers that affected VIN WA382672 to WA391018 (1998 models). When it was put back together was the cam follower pre-load checked? What oil are you running in it?

·
Registered
1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just re-read the work invoice, and it says Camshaft - regrind, Manifold Gasket Set - Intake, Cam followers, Rocker Arms, Rocker Shaft, Pushrod, Valve Cover Gasket, Crankshaft seal, Camshaft Gear, Crankshaft Gear, Timing Chain, Timing Cover Gasket, Water Pump Gasket, Oil Cooler O-Ring, and besides the camshaft they had sent out to be machined, they're all new parts that they replaced with. And as for the cam follower pre-load being checked, I have no idea, I would assume the mechanic who did the work would know to do so; hence why they're working as a mechanic there. It's a 1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE and the VIN is SALPV1243VA360556 and they put in Motul 5W40 European Synthetic Motor Oil. Now I'm going to relay the info you posted to the mechanic, but am worried that it'll be offending to him, but at the same time; how else will they learn right? I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I talk to him.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,383 Posts
Is it using any water? I had ticking in my P38A and it was a moving cylinder liner. The P38A is known for slipped liners.

I had the engine machined and fitted with tophat liners.

·
Registered
1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's fine, and when they had the engine out and dismantled I would assume they would notice. Now it's the waiting game...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
They don't appear to have taken the heads off (no mention of head gaskets) and without doing that they wouldn't be able to see if there was a slipped liner. They only have to slip a tiny fraction anyway and could easily not be noticed by someone not familiar with the LR V8 engine.

·
Registered
1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is actually a factory rebuilt engine as my original engine got totalled by previous ex-mechanic that blew my head gaskets and then crack the blocks, but the liners seem fine so far, wonder what they'll have to say.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
450 Posts
try and trake it down a little . use a screw driver or anything that's metal to place against the tappet covers and listen for the tapping , it sounded louder on the left . have a prod around and try and find where it's coming from

·
Registered
114 Posts
It seems to be running at camshaft speed not engine speed (I get about 20 taps in 4ish seconds so about 300ish per minute) which would indicate something in the valve train as opposed to a slipped liner. Others may have a more informed view.

·
Registered
1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mechanic said it might be a defective rocker and is replacing it now, let's see if this fixes it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Make sure he/she has a good look at the push rods as well. If there has been an oil feed problem, or too much pre-load in the past, the top ends can mushroom and therefore not fit properly into a new rocker arm.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Taking the serpentine belt off and starting it with that removed will tell you if it is an accessory rather than the engine itself. Don't run it for too long though as the water pump won't be turning.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
218 Posts
The rocker arms are a common source of rapping noise, but we also get rap noises from catalysts that are breaking up. We get raps from collapsed piston skirts (which requires complete disassembly to repair) and as noted the liners can be a source of noise.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts