RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Ash grey interior on my 2002 NAS truck. While loading lumber in the roof at the local yard I stepped in paint and when I stood in the passenger seat RH side I got yellow paint on the leather. I wiped it off immediately but a small amount is still smeared and dried on the seat. Any ideas on how to remove dried paint without damaging the leather? I’ve tried water, scrubbing, fingernail scraping and have have had no luck. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
770 Posts
You’ve got a job on your hands there, I can’t think off hand any way to get the paint off without damaging the painted leather below it, I’d try a little white spirits, or meths on a cloth , but just gently, have you tried any leather cleaners, I think this might be one of those ouch moments.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
It's also going to depend on what sort of paint it was. If it was a water based, acrylic type paint then water will get it off eventually, if it was oil or xylene based then you are going to have problems. Whatever it is though you are likely to need some dye to restore the leather afterwards.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I’m sure it is water based. I’ll gently try to get it up. I even thought I’d just go over it with grey leather touch up. If it is paint on paint what is just another coat of paint??? I’ll try a bit of removal first. I’ll look on car detailing forums as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have used Metho to remove water base house paint on over spray from painted wooden floors , do a test spot some where you can not see it

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks guys. I’m sure it is water based. I’ll gently try to get it up. I even thought I’d just go over it with grey leather touch up. If it is paint on paint what is just another coat of paint??? I’ll try a bit of removal first. I’ll look on car detailing forums as well.
Thanks
if it’s waterbased you’ve got more chance of getting it off, try warm water with a tiny bit of detergent, use a nail brush, it’s just like cleaning a leather seat.
as mad-as says, with meths try a test patch, it’s actually quite an abrasive cleaner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts