RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Fourth to all,
On this long weekend I thought I would "fix" my control arm noise with a quick replacement. Well the best laid plans haven't worked out so well. Not only was I not able to get the ball joint to separate (no fork tool, or proper separator), once I put Humpty back together again I have the peeing dog stance.

I have tried disconnecting the battery, checked sensor connections (did not disconnect). I have the tool from RSW (great tool BTW) for the EAS and it picked up an Articulation Validity Fault once the system threw a hard code. When I reset, I get the same symptom.

Any pointers are appriciated before I haul her to the dealer. Did I kill the sensor or knock it way out of whack, or....?

Did I mention the wife is not pleased ? "it was fine before you messed with it..." ugh!

130k miles on the 2003 HSE.

Thanks,

Calvin

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Articulation Validity Fault-After Control Arm Replacement

Ha "fixed" it. When I reconnected the sensor yesterday it had swung 180 degrees therefore not registering properly. Once I disconnected and reoriented it properly, all went back to normal. :oops: Also my balljoint noise has disappeared. I might have just have just needed some tightening.

Happy Sunday

·
Registered
10 Posts

cjcomeau said:
Happy Fourth to all,
On this long weekend I thought I would "fix" my control arm noise with a quick replacement. Well the best laid plans haven't worked out so well. Not only was I not able to get the ball joint to separate (no fork tool, or proper separator), once I put Humpty back together again I have the peeing dog stance.

I have tried disconnecting the battery, checked sensor connections (did not disconnect). I have the tool from RSW (great tool BTW) for the EAS and it picked up an Articulation Validity Fault once the system threw a hard code. When I reset, I get the same symptom.

Any pointers are appriciated before I haul her to the dealer. Did I kill the sensor or knock it way out of whack, or....?

Did I mention the wife is not pleased ? "it was fine before you messed with it..." ugh!

130k miles on the 2003 HSE.

Thanks,

Calvin
Articulation Validity Fault points very much to a failed height sensor. Basically height sensor is saying 10CM where as the rest are saying 30CM (for example) and the system knows that can't be correct.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts

Thanks that gave me a useful hint. I replaced a lower arm at the front and had the car jacked up, then sensor arm unscrewed from the arm. Then when I screwed the sensor lever back onto the new arm and start the car up I get a messed up levelling at the front. The RSW solutions kicker tool indicated

"1.--Current Faults----> Articulation Validity Fault
Faults Cleared
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------
1097170-10-17-16-00-34-01-11-01
..--Previous Faults--->
Articulation Validity Fault
Faults Cleared
<-END Faults
1097170-10-17-16-00-34-01-11-01
..--Previous Faults--->
Articulation Validity Fault
Faults Cleared
<-END Faults

From what you wrote I can imagine the sensor arm may have rotated 180 degrees in the wrong way before I put it back in place. I will check that tomorrow.

I saw one forum post explaining the fault as:
"A height sensor has indicated that the suspension has moved to a position that should be mechanically impossible."
That sounds like I should take a look at the sensor linkage to see if I messed things up when reinstalling...

BTW: The work I did was replacing the lower front suspension arm. Getting the ball joint of the old arm to separate was a challenge. I found this tool in my inventory and was able to enlarge its opening so it fitted the ball joint:
tie-rod-end-lifter.jpg
Don´t try this at home; Using a metal disc cutter I had to grind off a piece of the threaded portion of the joint to have this size of "lifter" fit.. By screwing it down it puts pressure on the joint so by hammering on the joint sideways it finally broke loose. Not an exact science, difficult to judge how much torque the tool will withstand, and how hard the balljoint sits is likely different from case to case.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts

Here´s two photos that explain the problem.
First photo shows the WRONG way of mounting the sensor linkage.
Second photo shows the RIGHT way.

The mistake happens easily with the sensor linkage disconnected since the sensor arm can easily
end up in the wrong direction.

Photos are at left hand front wheel (right hand seen from front of vehicle).
The easy rule to remember at the front suspension is that on each side the sensor module lever shall point towards
the side of the vehicle, not inwards towards the engine bay.

Slight corrosion evident in photos was later attended to. :-o

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you gunnarL322! you saved me. I have 2003 RR with 53,000. Its a SOCAL truck, so no rust issues. I replaced front end upper lower control arms, ball joints, sway bar links and tie rods. All boots were torn, and a popping noise with a right turn. Straight forward project, no surprises. Once complete, with truck lowered, the front end stayed very lower. Start the car, no movement at the front end. Drive a short distance, and received the height adjustment inaccurate warning. Using the iLand computer with a code fault: Articulation Validity. Read gunnarL322 post, I had the height switch arms 180 on both sides! Started the truck, cleared the fault, the truck leveled itself! Thank You Again. now of to get an alignment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts