RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering redoing all the mechanical side of my EAS. I thought I would use the Arnott Series 3 spring and the Bilistein shock kit they also sell. The question is with the 2-3 inch increase in travel that the new airbags can supple, can the bilistein shocks cope with the extra travel?

also, does anyone know if the series 2 airbags and/or the replacement bladders also have extra travel?

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't believe the extra travel is on the series 2 bags. The bilstien and Gen III is a good combo. Both have a lifetime warranty. I'm partial to the new Old Man Emu shock myself. Only because from reading reviews it seems they are a happy medium between a little harsher Bilstien and a little softer stocker.

The stock travel distance for all direct fit shocks is 8 in. If you left the EAS computer alone you should not have a problem. I had my computer adjusted and have run into a problem but before that everything was perfect. I push my rover to the limit at least once a week and I wheel about 3 times a week. I have had it at full articulation and the shock did fully extend. The Gen III is about 20 1/2 inches fully extended. The rear shock is about 21 inches fully extended. I think the front Gen III are also 20 1/2 inches but the front shock only extends to about 19 inches.

If this concerns you and you still want the Gen III you can install a limit strap on the axels. I have been toying with the idea of getting a 2 inch square tube and bolting the bottom of the shock to one side and bolting the other side to the lower shock mount. I still haven't figured out whether this will effect the shock bottoming out when in access or during a fault. If it did bottom out MUCH more work is involved.

At any rate I still wouldn't trade my Gen IIIs for anything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, ok thanks...out of interest, how does this compare to the stock airbags?

I was going to change the settings in the EAS computer so I can have more lift in extended mode.

my other reason for changing to SIII/bilistein is also for better on road performance, does it handle alot better on the tarmac with that setup?

cheers,
Dave.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
The GIII's are a significant improvement on and off road. When I first put mine on I was amazed (still am) at the difference in handling a properly designed spring can make.

The GIII's are much longer than stock, and the lower piston is re-disigned for a rising spring rate, the OEM has a fallling spring rate(=body roll...)

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you stay with the EAS, there is only so much travel in the hight sensors. Have you given any thought on how you would extend them?
The shocks are fixed length and stop the axle dropping out - if you lengthen the shocks then you run the risk of popping the sensor off the axle and then a hard EAS fault.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have that combo, and I adore it. I will be getting the EAS recalibrated at extended height a modest 1" increase as soon as I can. I'm almost sure my Bilsteins and Gen3's can accept that.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
wpbcaptain said:
I have that combo, and I adore it. I will be getting the EAS recalibrated at extended height a modest 1" increase as soon as I can. I'm almost sure my Bilsteins and Gen3's can accept that.
Hi wpbcaptain,

Di you go further on this mod? I have the same combo and would have feedback on recalibration

Cheers

Flo

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi Flo, not as of yet. Dealers near me will not recal. the ride heights to an increased value. So, I was considering saving up for a Rovacom anyways... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts