RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to replace the front struts on my rover since one is leaking. Do you guys recommend I get OEM struts at 730 a piece. Or should I get the Arnott ones at 420 a piece. I have a supercharged model with the adaptive suspension. I am worried the arnotts might not have the same ride or handle the same as stock but the difference in price makes them very tempting.

I am thinking of tackling this job at home but haven't decided yet. I have two questions first how should i depressurize the bag to take it off. second when you reinstall the bag and put the wheels on how do you raise the car without it freaking out and throwing a suspension error. I guess im asking is there a way to do this job without a diagnostic tool or do i need one?

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Arnotts ride perfectly and are made with high qaulity components.

BUT

Arnott in my experience has poor quality control. With my old FFRR, I bought it with new front end Arnott struts. Meaning Arnott's "rebuilt" which are truly just repainted strut with new air bag. It started leaking in the winter, going to bump stops over a week, then over a night. They had no more than 30k miles on them, and Arnott did absolutely nothing to assist, noting their "LIMITED" lifetime warranty which has to be first owner.

It left me stranded a week after it started leaking, completely nose dived on the highway, complete failure of the internal seal of the bag.

Never will I use Arnott products again...but it is only my experience.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Sadly many folks had issues with the rebuilt units from Arnott. Dennis ignored emails and his customer service team had script they followed when anyone called in to ask what was actually done when the strut was rebuilt.

Dennis has stated that he no longer offers "rebuilt" products because they were no longer making money and used struts were getting too hard to come by.

Samuel, if you are going to be keeping your L320 I would stick with OEM. This ensures you maintain the ride and handling you are used to. Going with aftermarket you never know if the valving is different or if the bladders are as heavy as stock.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Yes, you have to depressurize when removing. This is part of the removal process. When you are removing the air line from the bag do it slowly (can't really do it fast) and let the air out then remove the line. The process dictates the truck be on jack stand or a lift so once the new bag is installed just start the truck and let the EAS sysyem do it's thing and fill the new bag.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I got the OEM shocks/air springs from Atlantic British - cheaper than the dealer - and I did it from the Amazon site (they sell there) to get free shipping - I think the rears were about $350 each ... fronts are a bit less if I recall ...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 2 new front arnotts in my 2006 RRS SC and i've had them on for maybe 10k miles. They've done great however i had to have one replaced under warranty because 2 of the 3 top bolts sheared off during driving and the last one was cracked when i took it off. I swear i had a post on here with pics but i couldnt find it. Personally if i was going to do this again, i'd order from atlantic british. Arnott is great however i had to pay for the replacement front before they sent it, and they refunded me when they recieved the faulty assembly they sent me, i believe thats the normal process but it was just a pain to deal with.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Another vote for Atlantic British...no issues with more than 75K on the replacements from AB...all 4 corners. Much cheaper than OEM, and working perfectly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
By Atlantic British you mean the factory genuine parts correct?
By Atlantic British i mean:
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/RNB501600 I've found sometimes they will have the oem part and a aftermarket replacement but its hit or miss. OE will ALWAYS be the best option.

To answer your other question about airing out and airing up. You'll need a IIDtool to control the suspension. I had the truck up on jack stands and used the IIDtool to empty and re-fill with its settings.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
By Atlantic British you mean the factory genuine parts correct?
I replaced mine with the cheaper version (non OEM) parts from AB...no issues at all. It was several years ago, but it was I think about $350 for the fronts and $450 for the rears or vice versa...can't remember. Either way, the vehicle has now 75K of life on these parts and they are all functioning perfectly...no leaks or issues with the suspension.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
. Dennis has stated that he no longer offers "rebuilt" products because they were no longer making money and used struts were getting too hard to come by.
Just a note of clarification

Arnott still remanufactures Rover struts including:

2006-2012 L322 Range Rover w/o VDS (includes completely rebuilt air spring top; OE Damper)
2010-2012 L322 Range Rover w/VDS (includes completely rebuilt air spring top; OE Damper)
2013-2018 L405 Range Rover (includes completely rebuilt air spring top and recharged & rebuilt OE Damper)
2014-2018 L494 Range Rover Sport w/CVD. (includes completely rebuilt air spring top and recharged & rebuilt OE Damper)
2014-2018 L494 Range Rover Sport w/o CVD. (includes completely rebuilt air spring top and recharged & rebuilt OE Damper)

Arnott has stopped remanufacturing:

2006-2013 L320 OE struts around 2013 but offers an Arnott designed new strut
2003-2005 L322 around 2018 but we still carry replacement Air Springs and 100% New Arnott designed struts

We stopped remanufacturing these because it was hard to find OE struts that were in good enough condition to rebuild.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts