RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you thinking of upgrading to the next-gen RR (2013+) and what are you waiting for? Maybe you prefer the old styling? Some feel the new RR looks too curvy and effeminate. Or maybe you're waiting for the price to come down?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well besides being out of my price range, I am not a fan of the styling at all. However, I was not a fan of the l322 styling when it first came out but ultimately i think its the best looking truck on the road no questions asked.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I tend to keep my cars for 6-7+ years so i'am basically waiting for a Mid/late version when most of the problems are sorted out, and usually they'll have some exterior/drive-train refresh about midway through. In the next 2-3 years i think will be the best time to buy one. Styling wise, i'am still on the fence, as of now the l322 looks the best, as it resembles the classic soo much, the P38 just looked goofy to me, imo was the worst looking range rover, I think the pictures dont do the l405 any good, seeing it in reallife it's not as bad looking as everybody makes it out to be.

·
Banned
901 Posts
The new l405 was designed during a time of high oil prices, and political correctness, where everyone wanted economy and was talking about man bear pig.

I haven't driven one, and maybe I should but I would go for an l322 ultimate ATB or ATB black before a new v6 L405.

It does seem from the option sheet they have decontented and I would be looking at an ATB trim for everything I would want -- things I have on my 11 SC like rear ediff lock

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
If I could afford it I would buy the latest L322. I really can't get myself to like the 405 - it looks sort of too ordinary and just doesn't stand out from the crowd. If I were to see it for the first time and it had no badge I would probably think it was a Mitsubishi or something. From a technical standpoint I'm sure I'd love the latest 405 but somehow looks on a car are a big factor for me.

I must admit I didn't really like the 322 at first but it was not for lack of a unique look, of which it was plenty, but because of what at the time appeared like a cross-eyed look of the headlamps. I soon got over that and it no longer seemed cross-eyed and indeed today I cannot understand how it looked like that to me at the time.

The P38 never quite caught my attention either - it looked somehow too tame and humble. Maybe it's the odd numbered models that work for me - looking forward to the Mark V, though I'll probably have to wait some for that.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
Not anytime soon, they are a little out of my comfort zone price wise. And, I just upgraded from an 03 to an 11, so I should be good for a few years.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
139 Posts
Yes. Test driven and talked numbers. At the end of the day, it's too early in the L405 generation. Every generation of Range Rover has it's peak. '95, '02, '09, '12. I don't think the L405 is matured enough yet for my taste.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm planing to downgrade. It seems like each version keeps getting a little more expensive and a little less capable at the same time. I just sold my '07. Eventually I'm going to get p38 or a classic... just for the trails and weekends. There are *real* accessories for the older ones, and they can get you much deeper into the woods IMO.

I just can't bring myself to like the L405... sort of wanted to get a diesel now that they finally have them in the states, but I keep reading about issues. Final nail was my new need for a lot more towing capacity.

·
Banned
901 Posts
I'm planing to downgrade. It seems like each version keeps getting a little more expensive and a little less capable at the same time. I just sold my '07. Eventually I'm going to get p38 or a classic... just for the trails and weekends. There are *real* accessories for the older ones, and they can get you much deeper into the woods IMO.

I just can't bring myself to like the L405... sort of wanted to get a diesel now that they finally have them in the states, but I keep reading about issues. Final nail was my new need for a lot more towing capacity.
Go for a classic with a true center locker, if you really want to offroad. The p38a has a viscous coupling center which needs quite a lot more slip than the edifferentials to lock up. It also won't lock up 100%.

True I had a fully built p38a, with ARB rear air locker and 33" BFG AT tires. Even with that. The most of the trials I have taken on with both, I prefer the L322. There are many situations where a p38 struggles for traction where a l322 with the e lock center and rear wouldnt. Or cases where the L322 will actually articulate better. i would have to beat up a p38a on some of the trails out in CO where the L322 does it without argument.

I found myself getting stuck much more often in a built out p38 versus the times when it would out perform an l322.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
452 Posts
I've had an L322 since August of 2002, and am on my 5th L322 (after a 2 year hiatus before this most recent one). I thought the L405 would grow on me over time, but it never has. The L405 drives slightly better and feels quicker on its feet, but overall it's not a huge leap (and this was after a month of having an L405 to drive around). So I ended up getting a 2012 AB Ultimate, and couldn't be happier. However, I also have a couple of RRCs, so not sure what that says.

I recently walked back to my L322 and a L405 had parked up next to it, and knew I had made the right decision.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
The L405 is a mess, With the early L322's they got it right, the "facelifts" have turned it into a Canyonero...starting with the mesh gills/grills and the technology throw-up into the cabin.
JLR are lost and floundering trying to create something beautiful.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've had an L322 since August of 2002, and am on my 5th L322 (after a 2 year hiatus before this most recent one). I thought the L405 would grow on me over time, but it never has. The L405 drives slightly better and feels quicker on its feet, but overall it's not a huge leap (and this was after a month of having an L405 to drive around). So I ended up getting a 2012 AB Ultimate, and couldn't be happier. However, I also have a couple of RRCs, so not sure what that says.

I recently walked back to my L322 and a L405 had parked up next to it, and knew I had made the right decision.

I might be in the same boat as you, as iam considering upgrading my 06SC to eithier a l405 or a 2012 ATB, The way the L322 looks exterior wise and drives is like it was designed for OFFROAD first then Luxury, the l405 imo is the other way around, luxury/car like handling came first then they just threw in offroad second.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts