RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, between the manifold and gasket, between the gasket and heads, or both? Was a valley pan gasket leak and not the head gaskets thank God.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
I do both. It's not so much for added seal, but to hold the valley pan in place while installing the front and rear clamps and lowering the manifold in place. It takes very little but a very thin coating keeps things in place very well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoever has this classic before me put a lot on it. Way too much IMO. Also hadn't cleaned any of the oil that leaked from the valve cover gaskets. I spent as much time cleaning as dismantling. It was filthy. Ton of silicone on the old valve cover gaskets too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use permatex form-a-gasket #2. It's non-hardening and easy to clean up with brake cleaner. I push a glob into the corners where the head over hangs the block. I also smear a thin layer on the head and manifold where the coolant channels are. I do not coat the entire edge of the block, just the corners and the coolant channels, and definitely not on the valve cover gasket. Remember, "less is more".

Silicone likes to break apart and find it's way to places it shouldn't be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts