RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
334 Posts
:grin: `) :-? /:( :x :doh: :lol: :dance: LOL the many faces of a P38 owner!!!
Quite so.

All born of a desperation which for some years now has been bordering on mania.

Yeesh......

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Heck!
I started with one and now have FOUR!
I vote: Collectable!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Heh..... It's been well and truly jumped on, Gilbertd.

Thanks to our insane tax structure (approx 150%, give or take) grey market imports where car values are criminally under declared is a booming market here.

A new L405 Vogue has a sticker price of MYR1.1 million at Land Rover Malaysia. "2012" grey import L405s go for about MYR 600k.

I'm asking MYR80k for mine. Prolly explains why I still have it!

LOL!

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I'm asking MYR80k for mine. Prolly explains why I still have it!
That's 15 grand UK Sterling, about 5 times what it would cost/sell for over here! No wonder I saw so many old Prontons when I was in Malaysia. I did find it amusing that the old boxy shaped Proton was called a Saga. Saga over here is a company that does holidays, insurance, finance, etc for the over 50's. Seemed to sum up the sort of person that would drive one.......

·
Registered
139 Posts
..yeah..import tax here is insanity (i have been optimistic calling it that way)..its about 300% for new car..means, you buy 3, drive 1 .. and all that for sake of 'giving headstart to crappy Proton', which is about 30+years now...quite good head start, yet, still pure crap of car..been foreigner here, im wondering, why local people do nothing, provided how much they have been cheated/screwed, in near all segments of society..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Actually the Saga is probably the direct opposite of a P38.

2wd, no style, no refinement, no EAS, no 4wd, no exclusivity....... but they don't break.

LMAO!!!!

And no- I doubt if they'll be collectible in the foreseeable future.

:-D

·
Registered
325 Posts
That's just over what I paid for mine here, although the guy originally wanted more than double that.

We have similar punitive taxes on personal imports here, coupled with a maximum engine limit (2.5L springs to mind) and RHD is verboten. On top of that is some customs official taking a fancy to your newly imported motor, leading to you never seeing it again!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually the Saga is probably the direct opposite of a P38.

2wd, no style, no refinement, no EAS, no 4wd, no exclusivity....... but they don't break.

LMAO!!!!

And no- I doubt if they'll be collectible in the foreseeable future.

:-D
..you dont want to be in Saga(or any Proton for that matter) in case of any accident..i have seen that car literally cut in a half in accident, which shouldnt really be that devastating for vehicle..tinfoil cars..

·
Registered
325 Posts
..you dont want to be in Saga(or any Proton for that matter) in case of any accident..i have seen that car literally cut in a half in accident, which shouldnt really be that devastating for vehicle..tinfoil cars..
I wouldn't want to be in one through embarrassment!

But no, you're right, they don't fare very well in a shunt.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I remember Proton's tag line for the Waja (anybody remember?)- "Asia's BMW"?

Yeah..... more like Malaysia's Trabant.

Still..... for all their faults (and there are many), you could neglect them totally but they'll still start and run.

Can't say that for my P38.

I think the market for them P38/ have bottomed out here and soon you'll see the bad ones being scrapped or sold for next to nothing as despairing owners jump for the exits...... but good ones will start fetching premiums.

Actually I have high hopes for mine. As I've said several times before, only 40 DSEs were ever imported into Malaysia and most of those are no longer running.

But..... given the grade of diesel we have out here and the utter inability of the L322 and L405 diesels to stomach it, the P38 DSE is still THE Range Rover to have if you wanted a diesel one in Malaysia.

Fingers crossed...... mine will fetch MEGABUCKS someday!

·
Registered
139 Posts
..man, i really have no idea what kind of P38 is one you have, as it seems that it has more bugs than street dogs..it is exact oposite with my truck which literally, never failed..i do preventive maintenance, so that may be the reason, but truck has tip top track record...and it was huge pleasure moving trough MASSIVE water pond on the streets, few days back near Strand area, where hundreds of cars were stuck and i was able to go trough some 45-50cm deep water with my P38 without a glitch...funny to see it as only car went trough, while several of those marked reliable, stuck in the middle, helpless..i just dont know...or maybe i have good wednesday P38, probably.. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm happy for you- really I am.

The latest catalogue of failures to hit mine- over the last 6 or so weeks:-
1) totally gratuitous crack on windshield.
2) while driving back from Land Rover Malaysia after ordering new windshield, car develops vibration- drive home, park in basement
3) vibration turns out to be ruptured longshaft coupling. Car undriveable.
4) order P38 DSE longshaft coupling in Malaysia from Land Rover Malaysia
5) when the longshaft coupling arrives, one towtruck required to get undriveable P38 from basement to ground floor, another (a flat bed) to get it from ground floor to Land Rover
6) longshaft coupling and windscreen replaced. A couple days later, unusually high temperatures recorded by binnacle temp gauge. Dead viscous fan
7) Bearmach OEM quality viscous fan ordered
8 ) driver's seat belt binnacle/ short end fails. Car undriveable
9) new driver's seat binnacle short end ordered
10) Bearmach OEM quality viscous fan arrives
11) Car remains undriveable today pending arrival of seatbelt binnacle/ short end.

How la?

So yeah.... BOY do I hope these cars get to be collectible, someday.

Soon!

`)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh man...only way I could think about is, it must be a friday p38 :) ...I truly hope it will work out well and let ya enjoy a bit...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts