RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the test drive of HSE Dynamic 2018 i had the issue with closing the door on the car that did not have the Soft-Close Doors specified. I remember that when i tried to close the door, they would not close properly. I tried again closing and the doors did not close all the way. Third time i slammed the door and only then they were closed.

Salesman, being the salesman after all, recommended me buying the soft-close options. I really don't care for that option, as i think it may cause the more troubles down the road, and i wish to keep the car for longer period, and i would gladly spend $1k (price for the soft close doors in my country) on other options rather than spending it on soft closing doors.

My question is basically if someone bought RRS without soft-close, and are the doors closing easily. Is there a break-in period for the sealing rubber on door that maybe improves the door behavior over the time.

Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Soft close is like any other option... it is not required. You don't need it to have properly closing doors. Obviously the latches on that example were not properly adjusted if you were needing to slam your doors for them to latch. There is no break in period for seals.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What RRToadHall said, plus the RR Sport is designed to go through fairly deep water , so the Doors are tightly sealed and take a little more effort to close. Try opening the Window on your next Test Drive to let the air pressure inside to escape when you close the Door.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I happen to love the soft close door option. I didn’t think I would use it that much but you get to the point of not even knowing it’s there. I get in my wife’s Panamera and have to remember to close the door firmly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soft close is like any other option... it is not required. You don't need it to have properly closing doors. Obviously the latches on that example were not properly adjusted if you were needing to slam your doors for them to latch. There is no break in period for seals.
My close friend bought a Audi A6 Allroad 5 years ago and had the same issue with needing to slam the doors and went to the dealer, and they told him that they cannot do anything. They told him that all Audi A6 without soft close doors are like that. I guess they we're just lazy, and my friend took their words literally and did nothing for the last 5 years. I just asked him today, did he fix the issue, and he told me that he got used to people slamming the doors :)

Thanks for the help!

What RRToadHall said, plus the RR Sport is designed to go through fairly deep water , so the Doors are tightly sealed and take a little more effort to close. Try opening the Window on your next Test Drive to let the air pressure inside to escape when you close the Door.
I'll try that for sure.

Tomorrow i will be visiting the dealer and try out different RRS and see if maybe i had test driven the faulty one.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I happen to love the soft close door option. I didn’t think I would use it that much but you get to the point of not even knowing it’s there. I get in my wife’s Panamera and have to remember to close the door firmly.
Interesting. I also have the soft-close door option and the door is heavy enough where soft-close never needs to engage for me. I have to intentionally close the door very lightly for it to engage.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My number one lesson learned on my 2014 order was soft door close so i fixed that on my 2018...I also owned an allroad noted above (actually 2 of them) and the RRS certainly needed to be slammed harder than the audi. very happy now with my soft close doors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found the video that perfectly describes the issue i had with my test drive. Exactly like this except it wasn't so cold outside.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just found the video that perfectly describes the issue i had with my test drive. Exactly like this except it wasn't so cold outside.

that happened to mine while at an indy for a brake job. Fixed under warranty with a new latch. Apparently, it’s a known potential issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My number one lesson learned on my 2014 order was soft door close so i fixed that on my 2018...I also owned an allroad noted above (actually 2 of them) and the RRS certainly needed to be slammed harder than the audi. very happy now with my soft close doors.
Interesting.

I don’t have the feel that I need to „slam“ the doors of my L494, I would say I can close them very quiet with a soft push and mostly no noise at all.

The other 3 L494‘s I‘ve driven for a few month, it was also easy and smooth to close.
Maybe an adjustment issue.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I didn't think I would care about the soft close option but it is pretty cool and has come in handy at times.

Kids left the door open so reaching back our the window or door to lightly push the door or back up a little and tap the brake got the door moving just enough to catch and close.

Funny I remember on my parents cars back in the 80's have a soft closing trunk. Seems like it took forever to get them on the doors.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
LMAO... Cadillac introduced the "zero effort" trunk lid closure in 1958. It was a spring loaded hydraulic piston with a cable actuator... no safety feature back then. Lincoln introduced the all electric soft close on the Mark V in 1977. In 1980 a safety feature was added to trigger the trunk release if any blockage was detected. Cadillac didn;t have a safety feature until the baby Cadillacs in 1985. Behind the times, but still long before the NTHB mandates.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Interesting.

I don’t have the feel that I need to „slam“ the doors of my L494, I would say I can close them very quiet with a soft push and mostly no noise at all.

The other 3 L494‘s I‘ve driven for a few month, it was also easy and smooth to close.
Maybe an adjustment issue.
LOL slam might be a harsh word - I needed to make sure they shut and it took more than a push.

Its just another way to extract $500-600 out of your wallet. That said I like them on the new rig. When your paying $130K+ might as well go all in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The soft close on my '14 closes well most times (99%), except that I noticed 4-5 times in the past few months it did not close well. I had to slam it to close fully. It was not just 1 door always. As far as I remember it was front passenger couple times and rears couple times.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back from the dealer. Tried out the demo car without the soft-close and everything went fine. Doors closed easily. It required a bit more pull than my E70 X5, but still perfectly fine. I now believe that latch on the other car weren't adjusted properly.

I'll gladly skip the soft close doors and choose another option. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

I'll be ordering an SDV6 (306hp diesel) on Monday but i'll have to wait 3-4 months for delivery :(

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I love the way this feature is implemented in RRS. It works very well, compared to my BMW X5. It could just have been my X5.

I get the most use with this feature when I drop off the kids in the morning at their school. They are in a rush to get out and never push hard enough to close the doors all the way. The soft close feature just works each time and helps me to not stop further down the road to close the doors all the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts