RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Range Rover hse sport. The right rear taillight lens is broken and the signal has quit working. I've found some aftermarket spider tail lights but it says they fit 06-09. Will they fit my 2010. Some say yes and others say no, so I thought I'd ask the people who would know.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,478 Posts
you need to see if the cables / plugs are identical...that's the plug and play parameter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The plugs are identical. Shape, mounting points, all are compatible from 2005 to 2012.
However since the MY2010 and later rear light is electrically speaking a totally different LED unit, they are often fitted with resistors in order to make them work in a pre-2010 vehicle. Once the resistors are removed, the lights will work on a 2010 and later.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,478 Posts
NOT all aftermarket lights have the proper plugs...you need to check that first before paying for them...

·
Registered
227 Posts
The question as I understand it, was whether the plug on a MY2010 vehicle would fit a lamp designed for a MY2010 vehicle, despite the lamp being converted for pre-2010 use. I believe it would.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,478 Posts
The message above references After market spider tail lights...hence the note regarding checking the plugs...as NOT all after market tail lights have the plugs converted to be plug and play...

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Obviously there is a vast difference in opinion on "plug and play". :roll:

If you have to screw with it then the answer is NO. Obviously he has to screw with it by adding resistors or yet another third party part/box inline to deal with the electrical differences. The answer to the original question is NO, older kits are NOT plug and play for 2010 and above rigs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's removing the resistors ;) I'm a keen DIY-er, so still PnP applies for me in such case, but you are right, they are NOT a direct replacement.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
It's removing the resistors ;) I'm a keen DIY-er, so still PnP applies for me in such case, but you are right, they are NOT a direct replacement.
Well if your having to remove resistors, regardless of what your keen on, then its not plug and play. That would be tinker with, hope you didn't break it, plug and pray...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,478 Posts
Let me clarify...there are some EBay vendors who sell 2010 and up LED rear lights which are absolutely plug and play for 2006-2009...I've bought them...no need to add resistors or change plugs...all that work was already done...just cautioning the OP to make sure that's what he's getting because any combo of either lack of resistors or the wrong plugs would require him to tinker, and those are also available. I don't know if his Spider lights are setup properly...he needs to validate all these items...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts