RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I see almost as many Land Rovers (RR & RRS) as the German cars in my area now. I used to like it a lot for exclusivity but not so much anymore. I am thinking of getting a ML350 instead....I figured if I'm going to be 'common' at least I would feel a lot safer in a MB. I got to borrow a ML350 for a day trip and oh man that thing was powerful and solid as a bank vault with very little body lean at speeds. The 08-09 RR's that I had tested all handled and drove much worse. Anyway, back to the subject, are RR's getting too common in your area too that you feel like changing cars?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I very rarely see a full size L322 driving around but do spot them from time to time.

I see Range Rover Sports a little more often than the full-size.

And I see LR3's and such more than RRS. but still not many Land Rovers in general.

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
Who cares? I didn't buy a Range Rover for the appearance, I bought it because it's a great value for a large SUV that can tow pretty well and has a comfortable on-road ride. It's a truck that you can comfortably daily drive, and it really makes you feel special when driving it. I used to think Range Rovers were just hype, but they're really nice vehicles. Everybody likes to point out the flaws in the Range Rovers, but these things are built quite solidly. Mine is 12 years old and aside from some BMW engine issues, it's in great shape.

In fact, I like that Range Rovers are super common here, because nobody can tell the difference between them. Everyone thinks mine is way newer than it actually is, haha.

For reference, I live in Chandler, AZ and work in Scottsdale, AZ. In Scottsdale the L322's are about as common as Toyota Camrys.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,166 Posts
They hardly exist until you buy one, then you see every 6th vehicle on the road is one.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
If you want something that drives better I'd say get an X5. You can pick up an X5 4.6 or 4.8 for not too much money and they're pretty quick for an SUV. Of course, you lose a lot of off-roading and towing ability by going to a smaller, more car-like SUV, but you gain handling. If that's what you're after then go for it.

However if you want to stay within the Land Rover family, you could try a Range Rover Sport? They're not as good at off-roading but they handle a lot better on the road.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An ML350 would be a serious downgrade. Those things look terrible. You might as well get a honda.odyssey, it has similar styling to an ML350 and is cheaper to maintain
The ML felt a LOT more powerful, confident and buttoned-down, whereas the RR overall felt more fragile possibly due to the air suspension (also Jaguars for that matter). I'll test drive the RRS and see how that feels.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
What a chuckle. I've never bought any car to show off or feel exclusive. Range Rovers are numerous around here... as are Bentleys, Maserati and even some Astons. We all have one thing in common. When we get in our cars in our grubbies and motor into town for a doughnut or gallon of milk we enjoy our cars. We enjoy the drive and the comforts. I can guarantee That the neighbour purchased his Bentley convertible because of his love for the marque. It's same way with me and the long string off Range Rovers I have owned and/or driven. Quite frankly I feel no need for exclusivity or care what others think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look where you're from. I wouldn't expect to not see a Range Rover on a beach city minutes from Downtown LA. Go to any other city and tell me if you see that many Range Rovers. Most cars in the cost of a Range Rover are very common in the LA area just from experience. If you want exclusivity you're gonna have to buy higher. I wouldn't though just because I love the Range Rover, how they drive, and wouldn't trade it for any other car within its price range more or less.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The sport doesn't handle as well as the full-size. Correct me if I'm wrong. But it weights in the same as the l322 thanks to its full frame design, and isn't as wide.

Handling vs a ML350 or an X5? Don't think so. Drove a few X5's and didn't handle like my rover. Maybe you test drove a rover with messed up air suspension, swaybar links/bushings, ball joints etc. as it seems a lot of them are that way.

Try one in tip top shape. See how it handles. Then lower the suspension close to access mode with a GAP tool or equivalent, and see how it takes the hard S corners :)

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
63 Posts
If you want to be in exclusive company, you could look for a 5speed Toyota Camry wagon. It's a unicorn and it exists.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I live in the Range Rover capital of the world. Can't drive a block without seeing a couple of them. Never really cared about the exclusivity of it. I just like the car.

Now my Exige, I can drive that for a year without seeing another.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
115 Posts
From having both a newer X5 and a new ML, I can tell you that you'll regret it. If you're looking for exclusivity, then you make be buying a car for the wrong reasons. But I tell you, there's nothing I like more than getting in to my Range Rover, pushing the start button and listening to the V8 fire up. Then, the cluster lights up and every time I have a passenger with me they're amazed that it's a screen. Personally, if you're looking for something to show off, buy a RR. Find one like mine with the premium seats, top grade leather, 1200w sound system, and so many other things that my X5 couldn't even come close to. When buying a Mercedes, you are stuck with a low level of options. For instance, my mom bought a 2016 GLC, top of the line and it didn't have Bi-xenon headlights, she is already back in a RRS. It's all about what you like, and if you like showing off your car because it makes you feel exclusive, I doubt you're going to find that in a ML or an X5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was contemplating on getting an ML exactly because I didn't care about 'exclusivity' anymore. The LX is actually more exclusive than ML and RR in my neighborhood but the Lexus truck feels too heavy and sluggish. I just love the feeling of solidity and safety *at all speeds* inside the ML that I don't feel in the RR (maybe the RRS that I have yet to test drive). It's also smooth and soft on pavement unlike the BMW's which I can't stand. I know ML can't handle off-road worth a but I don't plan on doing that much so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was contemplating on getting an ML exactly because I didn't care about 'exclusivity' anymore. The LX is actually more exclusive than ML and RR in my neighborhood but the Lexus truck feels too heavy and sluggish. I just love the feeling of solidity and safety *at all speeds* inside the ML that I don't feel in the RR (maybe the RRS that I have yet to test drive). It's also smooth and soft on pavement unlike the BMW's which I can't stand. I know ML can't handle off-road worth a but I don't plan on doing that much so it doesn't matter.
I'm having a hard time understanding why you're looking at a Range Rover based on what you've said. In my eyes there are 3 reasons people would want to buy a Range Rover.

1. "Exclusivity" as you put it. Some people just like to say they drive a Range Rover and want it for the looks.
2. Brand Loyalty. People have gone years or decades driving land rovers and love the cars and the brand.
3. Off Road/On Road capability. You won't find a better SUV that you can drive on the interstate to the beach and then drive the car on the beach and do so with ease and comfort. And this reason tends to lead people to becoming part of the 2nd reason I listed.

Others can chime in as there may be other reasons. Overall I think the FFRR and RRS are safe cars so I haven't taken that into account when comparing it to other cars.

Not going to lie I bought my first RRS because of reason 1. I was young-ish and couldn't have cared less about what the car could do. After some beach trips in the outer banks I learned quick how it could handle the road and off road and fell in love with the car. I'm now at reason 2 having purchased the FFRR months ago and I honestly just don't see myself buying another SUV that isn't either a FFRR or RRS.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
17 Posts
I honestly had no idea that people that were seriously shopping for a Range Rover would even consider the ML350...it's like comparing apples to Pop Tarts. The G-Wagen I get...but the ML350?!?!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
115 Posts
I honestly had no idea that people that were seriously shopping for a Range Rover would even consider the ML350...it's like comparing apples to Pop Tarts. The G-Wagen I get...but the ML350?!?!
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have three cars (I know stupid). 2016 Yukon Denali, 2011 BMW GT, and 2006 Range Rover. I look forward to driving my Range the most. Not fast, not agile, no cool technology, but the ride and the way it sits high is boss.

You only notice Range Rovers when you own one, or trying to buy one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts