RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased the product in this video and installed in a 2006 - 2009 HSE?

https://youtu.be/HumN0ptTnWM

It's from a company called NavTool. I've been looking for something like this for a LONG time, but didn't think it was possible.

I'm holding off on spending any money with them for now, but I figured I would see if anyone else has taken a shot at it with them.

The site is: https://www.navtool.com/land-rover-range-rover-2005-2009-apple-carplay.aspx

I did a search on here for "NavTool CarPlay" and nothing came up. Maybe it's new. For $550, I'd like to hear from some folks who have done it.

Thanks for the input,

TheGrrrrr

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
quite a few folks with 2007 and up have installed it. 2006 sound systems usually do not play well with after market gear because 2006 was one off year of antiquated BMW system and the two new Ford platforms.

There are quite a few existing Navtool threads. You can search through them and see if anyone with a 2006 has installed one without issue.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
215 Posts
Interesting...has anyone with a 2010+ used this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m really tempted to do this as well. I’d love having a more modern interface.

2010 Range Rover HSE
Bournville Brown Metallic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
11 Posts
Let me know if anyone in SoCal has an Auido shop that can instal this. I’ll buy it for sure.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I have one of his setups and its just a mirroring device.
You will have to operate from the phone display as it doesn't give an integrated touch screen interface. I did hook up a Chromecast to mine and that works just ok.

The install will require you slice up yoir canbus cables, it is not truly plug n play. The youtube install videos are incomplete at best and not all advertised features work as intended.

Let's be clear he is very difficult to work with, has horrible customer service and a horrible BBB track record under several company names. He'll refuse a refund as the product is on sale and tell the BBB you're not one of his customers if you file a complaint.

Be absolutely sure you want this product if you buy it. It does not add normal video on the go without additional pieces. You'll spend extra to get everything you are probably expecting.

If i could tell you not to buy it I would but I'd be a hypocrite as I did and do regret it.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
688 Posts
Interesting. More research needed. I was considering this.
Ironically, the video shows the touchscreen active in selecting apps.
I’m not keen on splicing into wires and creating problems down the road.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
181 Posts
And you still have to plug your phone in. No BT. My aux plug can do that for the price of a cable. There are other units that ARE plug and play with BT. They take the place of the CD changer in the glove box, but are pricey. Really pricey.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Interesting. More research needed. I was considering this.
Ironically, the video shows the touchscreen active in selecting apps.
I’m not keen on splicing into wires and creating problems down the road.

Sent from my iPhone X
Allow me to clarify:

I do not have the apple carplay device. I have the normal version without the carplay add on.

First off the guy is so hostile and abusive you can find alternate products that will sever you better. His positive reviews are mostly shill accounts he posted himself.

He literally (we caught him midway) tried to update his website TOS while I was asking for a refund to refuse but thanks to caching we could see the before and after source code edits.

His carplay is an addon to their normal VIM unit which BTW is not a regular VIM unit. You have to slice the NAV-Video cable and splice in his device as well as slice up the canbus. You switch to his unit by holding down the Navigation button for 3 seconds but the unit doesn't always boot properly so you can be hung there waiting for it to turn on. This also does not add VIM to a factory unit so you can watch DVDs in motion.

Trust me on this, don't buy from this guy. Go read the vette and acura forums about navtool and you'll see he's banned from most everywhere for his shady business practices and abusive behaviour.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
The apple carplay device is not something he designed, it's a 3rd party device you can purchase elsewhere.

BBB link 1: https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/staten-island/profile/electronic-instruments/navtool-inc-0121-128020/complaints

BBB link 2: https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/staten-island/profile/electronic-instruments/navtool-inc-0121-128020

Ripoff Report 1: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/navtool-vitaliy-sokolov/staten-island-new-york-ny-10314/navtool-vitaliy-sokolov-exchange-amp-refund-fail-staten-island-new-york-1414231
Ripoff Report 2: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/navtool-inc/staten-island-new-york-10314/navtool-inc-vitaliy-sokolov-an-evil-buying-experience-pure-evil-staten-island-new-yo-1368688

BTW here is a snippet of his BBB Report and I can post a copy of my chatlog with him as well. I purchased last year ( 2018 ).

--------------------------------------------
BBB
--------------------------------------------

Navtool Inc. 100% Ripoff 100% Russian

Navtool Inc = unethical business.

NavTool, Inc 260 Christopher Lane, Suite 101, Staten Island NY 10314

They do NOT believe in the BBB because the Better Business Bureau is a non-profit entity to represent consumer rights.

Read their BBB reviews and they dispute all complaints by saying "Not a customer, we don't sell that product" in order to present the idea the claims are fraudulent, but when you respond to everyone that way it's clear that you are lying.

Navtools only good reviews all mention "USA Made" (but not by USA people, they're Russian) and are clearly fake positive reviews. It's funny how they're almost all the same review with the same wording and language.

Samples of the Negative Reviews.

4/20/2017 Todd G.
Negative -1 1
Review
An EVIL experience. On March **, I ordered a device. On April 3, I received the device. My professional installer tried to install it the next day and it would not work. Not a big deal as this can happen, but not what happened next. On April **, my assistant called to get an RMA number. They refused. They required the audio installer to call, which he already had. They refused to issue an RMA. On April **, I called for an RMA. The man answering the phone, most likely the owner, Vitaliy S******, refused to discuss my issue by phone. Sounded like I woke him. He referred me to his website. S****** website RMA tab had no RMA form as referred to on the site. Then, I emailed *************** and got a bizarre and rude email that they have ZERO product failure (impossible) and that they would charge me 25% restocking fee IF they receive it within two days. Their website states that I have 30 days to return it. It took 10 days to get to me. I was contacting them 16 days after I received it. It was obvious that they were making it impossible for me to return the device. My experience was nothing short of EVIL. DO NOT BUY FROM NAVTOOL, INC. Their corporation is not in good standing with the State of New York, no surprise!

3/1/2017 Don W.
Negative -1 1
Review
I PLACED AN ORDER ON 7/26/2016 FOR A NAVTOOL FOR MY LAND ROVER. i CALLED THEM REPEATEDLY FOR THE STATUS AND THEY KEPT TELLING ME IT WOULD BE SHIPPED BY THE END OF THE WEEK. TWICE THEY EVEN TOLD ME IT WAS SHIPPED BUT COULD NOT GIVE ME A TRACKING NUMBER. THEY NEVER ONCE TRID TO CONTACT ME TO TELL ME THE ORDER WAS DELAYED. WHEN I TRIED TO GET A REFUND THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY ONLY AUTHORIZED MY CARD, WHICH WAS NOT TRUE AS IT WAS CHARGED TO MY CARD ON AUG 1. THE SALES AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT HAVE AT TIMES BEEN DOWN RIGHT RUDE. NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE. I AM STILL WAITING FOR A REFUND. i HAVE DISPUTED THE CHARGE ON MY CREDIT CARD BUT BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN MORE THAN 120 DAYS THEY WILL NOT GIVE ME AN IMMEDIATE REFUND.

10/27/2016 98
Negative -1 1
Review
Placed 1500 pound order,13 weeks on no order, no response to emails until week 13 when I contacted **** to claim, Do not deal with Navtool There is some thing odd about the company, the way emails are written, when you get one that is . Helpful until you pay then the emails stop. I'm sure it's one man in a bedroom or some thing.

Comments
Comment from the Business
we don't sell anything by the pounds , especially 1500 pounds ?????? we sell electronics not sugar
by Business on 10/27/2016

10/20/2016 MyJa
Negative -1 1
Review
This company ranks right up there with the worst customer service we have ever experienced, ANYWHERE. They are unhelpful, condescending, and un-prompt. They do not care about their customers or try to help you with selection, returns, or issues; NOR will they consider any solution or assistance if the product you purchase does not work for your vehicle in the end. I can not advise you enough to stay away from this place. Buy something at a yard sale before you buy here.

Comments
customer not found, customer statement doesn't make sense when compared to products we sell
by Business on 10/26/2016

Comment from the Customer
I just received feedback, via BBB, that this provider (Navtools) claimed we were not a customer and that our review did not make sense with the product they sell. I have receipts to show we are indeed customers, and can get phone records to show the calls we made to them for assistance installing their product in our vehicle. I also have a copy of a live chat between myself and the company. To add to this complaint, we finally found a car audio installer that was able to get the system wired for our vehicle, but they said the camera is faulty and will have to be replaced. We have purchased another camera from a different company because Navtools would not work with us to resolve.
by Customer on 10/26/2016

10/4/2016 A. B.
Negative -1 1
Review
My experience with the company Nav Tool was disappointing. The company neglected and lacked with the service provided. I ordered an item and weeks have gone by and I didn’t receive the product. I contacted them and the spokes person said I will receive with in another week then called again to get an update and I was told the same story. I waited around for two months and kept getting excuses. The provided date was not met on the day I was told. I had to call many times because no one was keeping me updated on the item I’ve purchased which I also paid for expedite shipping. After the two months I finally cancelled because I never received anything. This item was for a client of mine and I had to sadly tell them how they will not be receiving the item. I couldn’t keep my client waiting. Overall I was disappointed because I never received an update, I had to constantly call, no one sent out an email informing me about the “Suppose” delays, and to get a full refund was a hassle. I’ve purchased from Nav Tool before and never had this issue and its a shame.

Comments
No our customer , story sounds made up
by Business on 10/5/2016

8/25/2016 Charles T.
Negative -1 1
Review
Placed order for a Jaguar FX unit Sept 2014 still no unit as of Aug 2016 Got ripped off. It was on back order called almost monthly and was told it was coming after six months asked for a refund was told they would send it still no money. Always get someone named Gregory always said he would take care of sending a unit or refund money. The unit has been on back order since day one. So as it stand I see it as a scam and ripoff. Make sure you receive a unit while you are able to cancel payment and don't let them give you the runaround.

Comments
not possible to verify as a customer
by Business on 8/25/2016

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cant u use the bovee bluetooth gadget to solve for that? Works fine on my 2011
2006-2009 does not have the input for Iphone/Bovee. Only aux in plug.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
174 Posts
Hi all - I noticed you saying it’s a repackaged device from elsewhere I’ve had a quick look and cannot find does anyone know where the orginal is from and can I order direct?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The CarPlay for Range Rover works on 2005-2009 Range Rovers, this is not a repackage its NavTool and 100% made in the USA product. navtool sells interface since 2002

·
Registered
2007 Land Rover Range Rover 4.4
45 Posts
Hello I recently ordered this product and I was SUPER skeptical about it I will agree the chat and the people you deal with are defiantly a bit sketchy. BUT I finally got the product and installed it and I am SHOCKED. it actually works and works VERY well. The install process was very difficult as I put my unit behind the dash so that I could easily connect my iPhone for apple CarPlay.I paid 439 for the product and im very happy with it in all honesty! I will come back and update if my opinion changes but for now I would 10/10 recommend this. If anyone wants a video of it let me know

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
For my 2007 RR I bought one of the Navtool video interface devices with a screen mirroring module for my phone. It was like $360 off of eBay as I recall (bought it a couple years ago). The Navtool device connected to the navigation computer in the rear fender area, with a switch that allowed you to switch over from normal navigation screen to the new video interface. The video quality was not very good, not to mention that because it is only a video interface you have to deal with audio separately and can't control anything from the drivers seat (like if you connected a DVD player or multimedia interface). The screen mirroring sucked and I ended up finding it pointless and easier to just use my phone. It sat in my basement disconnected for the last couple years, and I actually literally threw the thing in the trash about 2 months ago! I completely regret buying it.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
688 Posts
I’d been watching this and pondering. My opinion, it works for some, not for others. My luck I’d be the one it didn’t work for or it wouldn’t meet my expectations.
I’m passing. Satisfied with my iPhone to aux cable if I want my music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts