Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've got a '04 RR HSE, and am looking to upgrade from the MKIII navigation to the MKIV. From what I understand the installation is very easy, and is basically just plug and play.

My question is this: Is there any difference in the MKIV's? Some sellers on eBay are advertising that their units come with the latest software, and those units seem to be selling for a premium? Can't any MKIV unit be updated to the newest software pretty easily?

Not sure if it matters based on your region, but I'm in the Midwest US.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
mine was VERY easy. Just bought one from a guy like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-MK4- ... 3cadc84641

the seller included the latest NA Nav DVD and i downloaded the v32 rover firmware for the unit - takes about 2 minutes to replace. Then another 5 to apply the v32 and you are all set.

Sell the MKIII on ebay for 200 and you are only out 350 total for a very nice upgrade.

JH

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JH, thank you very much for the info on the swap.

That deal fomr that particular seller on eBay is interesting, but I'm a bit worried about his zero feedback. I tried contacting the seller yesterday to see if he's on the up and up, but have not heard anything back as of yet. I'll keep my eyes open for another MKIV setup in the coming weeks.

Just out of curiousity, what did you have to do on your RR so you could play DVDs on your stock display?

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah - find a good source for the MKIV - mine was 550.00 shipped with the nav disc. I put the ebay purchases on paypal AND put that on amex - amex guarantees a full refund for 90 days so it's very low risk if the item does not show up for me.

DVD plays to the screen - to do this i had to get a few items - - intravee II, KCA 410I, alpine dvd changer (replaced the stock dvd player with the alpine), a video input device and a sirius siralp1 sat radio tuner.

The dvd's play from the apline changer - not the nav module - i am unsure you can do this....

intravee ii was 200
dvd changer was net 100 (old stock changer sold on ebay for 200 and new apline was 299)
sirius tuner was 50
kca-410i was 110
video input was 220 - has video in and backup cam in - plug in no cutting wires.

i also added the backup cam ( another $110) in the license plate, an ipod interface ($100), and a bluetooth streaming music gateway $40 to complete the system out.

Was a very simple install really... Hardest part is getting that silly glove back in with all the new wires behind it.

JH

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a mk IV off Ebay with a so called V32 sw upgrade and Land Rover screen logo. But I´m not that impressed. I don´t like the UI layout and colors compared to the original and
the original female british voice is much nicer. So I swapped back to the Mk III and am happy. But I would want to upgrade my 2002 version of map disc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ditto - did you go into the programming mode and turn on perspective map view? did you confirm you are on v.32? The interface is a little different, but not all that much imo. However the perspective view on the map is stellar...

JH

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Has anyone found a reliable discount supplier of the MkIV and/or MKIII unit? The technology is so old that I'm hard pressed to pony up $700 for what is an almost decade old nav when brand-new, top-shelf tech is available at the same price. That being said I'm a busy guy and would prefer the plug-and-play nature of the MkIV to save time (or would even replace my old burned-out MkIII if the price was right!) but for $700-1000 can get Best Buy to do the work and install a newer system...

·
Registered
68 Posts
KurtVerbose said:
gunnarL322 said:
But I would want to upgrade my 2002 version of map disc.
You can't.

And I must say, how on earth you prefer the Mk3 I've no idea. I would rather use a map than that awful thing.
The Mk3 conveys the original RR experience complete with Off Road Navigation
and that nice female voice. I admit the destination input usability is just crazy but I seldom use it anyway.
The MKIV is neccessary is upgrading to the BMW hybrid tuner for digital TV so at some point I will begin using it.

NavTech sell fresh map CD´s for the ol´ Mk3.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...=npkKCggQbDUAAAEP_0A2Eabg&ShowAllProducts=YES

99 British Pounds. I have roads around here that didn´t exist in 2002 so that will be exciting.

·
Registered
646 Posts
gunnarL322 said:
I got a mk IV off Ebay with a so called V32 sw upgrade and Land Rover screen logo. But I´m not that impressed. I don´t like the UI layout and colors compared to the original and
the original female british voice is much nicer. So I swapped back to the Mk III and am happy. But I would want to upgrade my 2002 version of map disc.
I'm not sure what you mean by female british voice as that is what my mkIV has. THe MKIII has the male british voice and from what I understand this is configurable I just haven't figured out how to do that.

My only complaint is I wish it would show the map when the radio is on staring at a small black box is somewhat annoying.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Agreed... iphone is fine for walking around, but trying to use it for driving is borderline dangerous IMO. The TomTom app is ok, but still suffers because the accuracy of the GPS is not really good, especially in the city with buildings, etc.

Yes, by default the MKIII in the RR was British Male. Don't let the voice stop you from getting MKIV... you can code any voice you want, I went with USA Male, because my wife doesn't like it telling her to take roundabouts and join the motorway. If you enable the split screen and 3D perspective mode and get updated maps, the MKIV is perfectly acceptable IMO.

·
Registered
646 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
Yes, by default the MKIII in the RR was British Male. Don't let the voice stop you from getting MKIV... you can code any voice you want, I went with USA Male, because my wife doesn't like it telling her to take roundabouts and join the motorway. If you enable the split screen and 3D perspective mode and get updated maps, the MKIV is perfectly acceptable IMO.
How did you change the voice? We prefer the British voice I think it suites the car well but would prefer the male over female voice.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
To change the language/voice you just need an IBus interface cable, and NavCoder (shareware), and a Firmware CD. You can easily tap into the IBus wire using one of the various connectors in the trunk under the nav unit. You'll also probably need this to make the ETA function work unless you buy an MKIV which was already coded for a RR instead of a BMW.

http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/index.html

You can also make your own cable if you want, the schematics are freely available.

·
Registered
646 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
To change the language/voice you just need an IBus interface cable, and NavCoder (shareware), and a Firmware CD. You can easily tap into the IBus wire using one of the various connectors in the trunk under the nav unit. You'll also probably need this to make the ETA function work unless you buy an MKIV which was already coded for a RR instead of a BMW.

http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/index.html

You can also make your own cable if you want, the schematics are freely available.
What does it do that a BBS device doesn't do? Maybe the Navcoder software is the key.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't really know what the BBS device does, but NavCoder + making a cable is essentially zero cost... and the BBS device is $$$$ and is locked to one VIN. I looked into the BBS devices at one point, but I got a bad vibe from them when I tried asking about the capabilities, etc... decided not to become a customer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
I don't really know what the BBS device does, but NavCoder + making a cable is essentially zero cost... and the BBS device is $$$$ and is locked to one VIN. I looked into the BBS devices at one point, but I got a bad vibe from them when I tried asking about the capabilities, etc... decided not to become a customer.
So I take it there is a schematic somewhere where you can make your own? I don't mind doing that assuming I can source the parts.

With the BBS unit there aren't many options for the NAV unit. Very few actually. I'm just wondering what exactly this is doing differently. Additional config options that you can program?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yes, if you google for ibus to pc interface schematic you'll find it in many places. Used to be a site called openbmw.org but it no longer exists...

thank goodness for internet archives:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041204074622/www.openbmw.org/bus/

Sometimes the web archive doesn't work... but if you don't care about having lots of documentation the circuit diagram is also included in the NavCoder zip file.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.