RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else on the board uses Penrite ATF BMV when doing transmission oil changes (which according to ZF here in Australia should be done every 40000km,not miles.

Check out the specs for the oil here:
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/PI_ATF%20BMV.pdf
This oil conforms to the spec for our gearbox and is designed specifically for ZF gearboxes, the 5HP24 being one of them.
The oil is much much cheaper than the Esso stuff BMW and LR sell

The oil spec sheet refers directly to the BMW standard - BMW LT71141/LA2634

Have been running it in my 5HP24 for a while with fantastic results, smooth shifting, got rid of some rough tranny action and it is real quiet.
Took me quite some time to track this oil down so hope this helps someone.

Rgds Darren

·
Registered
641 Posts
Read the threads on transmission problems. The general opinion is that its better to use the original spec oil as the gearbox is designed to have a very very specific viscosity of oil in it, and not doing so could cause shifting / lockup actions other than the norm.

Personally, having shelled out nearly £3k GBP having my box reconditioned, for the sake of a few quid difference in oil between the alternatives and the Esso stuff, i'll stick with the esso stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The point of the post is that this oil conforms exactly to the standards set by BMW and ZF.
You guys want to pay 4x the price for oil every 40000km be my guest...

·
Registered
641 Posts
It cost me about £100 for 20litres of the proper stuff last year ... so personally, for about £30 per oil change for a box, i'll pay that, knowing its the right stuff.

I dont disagree with specs that the manufacturer states, and on the face of it, yeah it looks spot on. But personally, in my position, i'll pay that extra to prolong my investment

1 - 4 of 4 Posts